Ch. 55 - You And Me

Start from the beginning

“You want help with that?” I asked.

“Nah, it’s just two empty glasses,” she waved it off. “I’ll be fine.”

And with that, she took both our cups and stood up, walking back towards the kitchen. I decided to follow after her but, before I knew it, she was already returning.

It didn’t take long for her to trip and, in the blink of an eye, she came crashing down with me as her cushion. We both hit the ground with a thud and my eyes widened when I realized how close to me she was. I could feel her body heat radiating from her skin and I couldn’t help but notice how cutely warm she felt.

“I-I’m so sorry!” she blurted out, her cheeks turning red. I lightly grabbed her wrist and kissed her hand.

“That’s okay,” I whispered, my tone calm and happy. We were face to face as silence seeped in once again and I stared at her lipgloss, wondering how they’d taste.

If I could just kiss her one more time.

Wait.. Why can’t I?

I wanna kiss her, right? Then why don’t I? What’s stopping me?

I slowly tucked in a loose strand of hair behind her ear and my hands traveled to her chin. Bringing her face closer and closer, I tilted my head slightly, desperately wanting her lips to mold perfectly together with mine.

I want her. I want her so bad.

“No..” Jackie whispered, hesitantly pulling away. “I c-can’t.”

I felt a piece of my heart break.

W-What?

“You can’t?” I asked for reassurance. “What do you mean?” There was disappointment in my voice.

I caught Jackie’s lips quivering as she looked at anything but me. “Trust me… I want to. I really, really want to, but..” she trailed off. “I’ve never cheated once in my life and I don’t ever want to be that kind of person. I’m technically with Tyler right now and I just can’t do this to him. After how nice and considerate he’s been with me the entire time.”

“Oh..” I bit my lip. “I understand.”

“It’s not like I don’t want you, Justin, I just… My conscience is telling me to…”

“It’s fine, Jackie,” I forced a smile, caressing her hair. “I told you I understand.”

Jackie let out a sigh and bowed her head. “I told him I want him to come over sometime so I can explain things…” she said. “What I really intend to do is break up with him. But that’s if you.. If you really..

“I love you, Jackie,” I cut her off. “Nothing could ever change that. You do what you have to do, okay?”