Chapter 22 - Orlando, Baby!

"This wasn't just a one-off event." Jones mutters to another agent, as we collect our thoughts outside the hotel. I was huddled between Ace and Rachael under a blanket as a gentle blast of chilly San Francisco air filled the night. We watched as dazed students were ushered into their parent's cars, mumbling about an emergency. APPSSA had somehow used their knowledge of powers to their advantage, and agents had secured the perimeter and used high-speed technology of some description to erase memories from the students and teachers affected. They replaced Hypno's attack with a small fire started by an electrical fault.

"What do you mean?" I stared up at Jones, his comment catching my attention as we waited for my mother to arrive. He paused before responding.

"There's been other...occurrences in other cities. Normal people that have acquired a power, and conducted a small-scale attack. Luckily the media hasn't caught on yet due to our protection technology."

I glance back at Ace who has a stern look covering his features, as he processes the information like me.

"Wait...so this is something bigger than an old friend getting revenge on his high school bullies?" Rach pipes up from the other side of me, concern cloaking her voice. Jones gravely nods at her words, as my mind begins whirring at a million miles per minute.

"It's like an underground revolution then? That's what Jack kept muttering anyway. Revolution." I said, instantly feeling Ace's arm around my waist tighten under the blanket.

"A dangerous revolution, perhaps." Jones exclaims, turning his head as Mom's Fiat 500 pulls up to the now-empty curb. "We'll send you all information about our next meeting, which should be soon. Goodnight." Ace helped me to my feet and we clambered down the steps towards Mom's car. I hopped in the passenger seat as Ace and Rach scrambled into the back.

"Are you all alright? I heard about what happened. The hotel should get sued, ruining a perfectly good evening like that. I think I'll send an email to the..."

"Mom, it's fine. It wasn't their fault. Plus, we danced before it happened anyway. That's enough for me." I interrupted, not wanting my irritating mother to put the hotel into bankruptcy about something that wasn't their fault.

"It didn't harm any of us, Miss Brown, but thank you for your concern." Ace leant forward in his seat and flashed a dazzling grin at me. Mom smiled at his words and looked away from the road for a second to give me look that said 'he's a keeper'. 

I rolled my eyes and focused my eyes on the clear night skies above the street lights. I could make out a few stars glistening through the suburban light pollution, and it instantly gave me déjà vu of when I was younger, Mom and I lived in one of the high-rise buildings downtown. Instead of sleeping early for school the next day (like I was supposed to), I would sit on my window-ledge and gaze up at the stars until my eyes felt heavy. 

Life was simpler back then.

There were no secret revolutions, no government agencies, no weird-ass superpowers, no silver-haired speedsters and disappearing best-friends.

But now, my mind was consumed with these countless worries, along with Star Wars fanfictions, Twenty One Pilots lyrics and the current situation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, of course. Mom's car slowed down to a stop, jolting me out of my thoughts.

"Bye, guys. See y'all soon." Ace grinned at me and Rach as he climbed out of the car. "Thanks for the ride, Miss Brown!" He slammed the door and trotted up his driveway, walking quickly without using his powers. 

"I might as well get out here too. Thanks for the ride. See ya at swim practice tomorrow, Cass!" Rach scrambled out of the car before Mom could object.