Chapter 6 - Pimpled Waitress

After another day of mind-numbing school, with Rachael back in to keep me company, we were finally released into the weekend, and our first stop? Velma's.

"We can go and have some noodles at that place on 5th Street first." Rachael instructed, as we began making our way down the street, away from school.

"Can't we have curry instead? I haven't had it in ages and we had noodles last weekend." I complained, as Rachael unlocked her phone to check her Snapchat.

"No, Cass. They released a new flavour and I want to try it, ok?" Rach replied, not even looking up from her phone. I sighed and muttered under my breath about going to get curry. It had always been like this, Rachael the boss, and me following along. I don't mind half the time, but when it comes to food...well...let's just say I'm passionate about food.

After a half an hour trek into the center of San Fran, Rachael dragged me inside her favourite ramen noodle place. To be honest, I hated it in here. It was the same as any modern noodle bar. Dark wood furnishings blended with a white flooring, and low-lying lampshades to make it look modern and chic. For me, it wasn't working. It was without a character. What I really wanted right now was some curry from the friendly joint down the street, but I knew I wouldn't win the battle. Rach and I took some stools on a high table facing the busy street, and an annoying-looking waitress came to give us our menus.

"Would you like a drink?" She asked, her sweet voice almost making me gag. I rolled my eyes at her question. How stupid. No, I wouldn't like a drink. I would like to just sit here and get thirsty whilst slurping my noodles, thanks.

"I'll have a Diet Coke, please." Rachael replied, looking up at the waitress and analysing her for flaws. Rachael was good at that. Judging people. That's another reason I'm glad we're best friends. If we weren't, I'm sure she wouldn't stop judging me.

"I'll have a lemonade." I ordered, as the waitress flashed a fake smile and trotted away from the table. Almost instantly, Rachael leaned in.

"Did you see the pimple on her forehead? Oh my gosh. She was trying to cover it with layers of foundation, but believe me, it wasn't working, Cass." Rach whispered, watching the waitress serve another table nearby.

"I have a pimple on my forehead..." I muttered, reaching up to feel the bump on my forehead. Yep, it was still there.

"Yeah, but you don't try to cover it. Seriously though, that woman needs to know how to work a makeup brush."

I just shrugged and looked at the menu. I guess I'd have the same thing I always do when Rachael drags me in here. Chicken ramen noodles. The best item on the menu, in my opinion. After a few minutes of mindlessly staring out of the window at the afternoon rush, the pimpled waitress returned, thumping our drinks onto the table.

"Are you ready to order?"

No, I'm just staring out of the window and looking bored because I can. I haven't actually looked at the menu yet.

"Yeah. I'll have the spinach and egg ramen soup please." Rachael said, narrowing her eyes at the waitress as she jotted down her order, trying to find any other flaws to laugh about.

"The chicken ramen noodles, please." I ordered, before slurping some of my lemonade.

"Thanks." The waitress mumbled, taking our menus from us and walking away.

"Did you also notice her lipstick shade?! What was she thinking?"

After enduring another half an hour of Rachael slurping her noodles loudly and slaughtering the pimpled waitress verbally at any given chance, I paid my half of the bill and threw myself out of that godforsaken place, vowing to myself I wouldn't be going back anytime soon.

"So, where is this place?" Rachael asked, as I checked the address on my phone.

"It's a few blocks up the street."

I whizzed around to find Ace leaning against a lamppost, his hands shoved in his silver jacket.

"Ace. What is it with you and leaning on lampposts?" I inquired, grinning and walking up to him. Rachael flashed me a look that read 'who is this guy and why are you talking to him?'.

"Well, I just find them very comfortable to lean on." He replied, smirking.

"Er...who's this?" Rachael asked from behind me. I stepped to the side to introduce her.

"Rachael, this is Ace. He lives across the street from you."

"Oh. And why are we talking to him?" Rachael's face was knotted in confusion. I had to fight the urge to whip my phone out and take a photo.

"We'll explain when we get to Velma's." Ace declared, as we began walking down the street.

Soon, we arrived at the grey building, and I rang the doorbell. A faint little chime could be heard from inside, along with Velma's high-heeled shoes galloping closer. Beside me, I felt Rachael tense up. She obviously didn't know what to expect. The door opened, and Velma greeted us.

"Quicksilver, darling! Oh, and Aqua Girl, of course!" She cried, flashing a dazzling grin. Her eyes landed on Rachael and her pale face lit up. "A new super! Do come on in, darlings. We have a lot to get through!"

I followed Ace into Velma's large home, and Rachael was behind me. Velma showed us through to her large design room, where I had first designed my suit, and I had only come here a few weeks ago for an update.

"Take a seat, I'll be with you in a minute, darlings!" She called, trotting out of the room and leaving us standing near the red sofas.

"This is all very...minimalist." Rachael murmured, plonking herself next to me and dumping her schoolbag on the floor.

"You betcha." I replied, leaning back and relaxing. Ace sat down the other side of me.

"So, as you may have guessed, I'm Quicksilver." He stated, looking at Rachael. She nodded, grinning.

"I sort of guessed from the silver jacket. There's not many of them around here."

"True."

I heard footsteps coming into the room and turned around to find a tall man, dressed entirely in black entering. Holding a gun.

You've got to be kidding me.

"You're supers, heh? We should've scrapped this scheme ages ago!" He declared, as Rachael shot up from the sofa. I glanced over at Ace and we exchanged knowing glances and a slight nod. Whoever this creepy dude was, he was about to be taken down.

"Rachael, get behind the sofa, will ya?" I whispered, ushering my best friend away from me. As she slowly began backing away, I stood up, facing the man.

"Yep, we're supers. And you should've scrapped your crappy little scheme ages ago, because we're about to kick your butt."