Chapter 13

“Oh my StarClan! I can't believe you did that, Thunderstar! What were you thinking!?” Waterleaf exclaimed, padding at her leader’s side. The silver she-cat lowered her head, her tail drooping.

“I...I…don't-”

“You weren't thinking, that’s your problem. We don't have the paws to just give one of our best warriors away to a Clan that drove. Us. Out. Of course, it could just be you not knowing how to lead a Clan,” Bluestorm interrupted, causing Thunderstar’s fur to spike up.

“Waterleaf, Featherspots, you two go ahead. I have some words to say to my deputy,” she sat down, turning her gaze away from her medicine cats. The two she-cats padded through the bushes, their silver tails disappearing out of sight.

“Yes?”

“I'm tired of you always telling me how to run this Clan. Owlstar made me deputy, not you. You have full right to change anything when I'm dead and you have nine lives. However, you won't be getting nine lives after mine. You are no longer my deputy,” Thunderstar growled, padding back to camp.

“Wait! You can't do that!” Bluestorm bounded after her, his tail bushed up. “The warrior code specifically states that a new deputy will be appointed after the old deputy dies or retires! It says nothing about just being tired of how one operates!”

“The warrior code also states that the word of the Clan leader is the warrior code. Trust me, Bluestorm, this is not a fight you want to deal with.”

The dark pines slowly started to give way to oaks and birches. The prickle of dry shrubs turned into the sharp pull of thorns, clawing at their pelts. Leaping over the tail end of the stream, Thunderstar finally spotted Waterleaf again.

The silver-blue she-cat was pinned against a tree, a large tom snarling at her. The medicine cat’s ears were flat against her head, her claws digging into the earth beneath her. Thunderstar padded calmly toward the scene, her blood roaring in her ears.

“No BoltClan cats are allowed on our territory,” the tom snarled, his light brown fur spiked up along his back.

“Right, my apologies Pineleaf. We were just coming back from the Rally. So, please let my medicine cat go and everyone will be happy.”

Pineleaf glared at her for what felt like moons before he sheathed his claws, backing away from Waterleaf. She let out a small cry before darting into a bush, her pawsteps fading away. Thunderstar gave a small nod before continuing on her path.

The soft grass gave way to hardened dirt, the twoleg nest coming into view as the trees broke away. Bluestorm rounded the bush and disappeared into the camp, Thunderstar halting a moment. She took a deep breath and, shaking out her pelt, made her way to her Clanmates.

“Thunderstar! Welcome home! Where's Grassfelt?” Thundershock asked from the nursery, Shadowkit pinning Tigerkit to the ground.

Sighing, she padded to the middle of the clearing, “BoltClan! I have an announcement to make!” She called out, watching as the Clan gathered in curiosity.

“I have to admit,” she began as soon as everyone had sat down, “that I may have made a mistake. Lightningstar and I have made an agreement, which involved giving up Grassfelt for a small period of time. But I'm not worried, I'm sure he will come back to us.

“Now, here is where I'm scared of your judgment. I have demoted Bluestorm as deputy. If Grassfelt returns, which I believe he will, he will be our new deputy. If, by some strange nightmarish chance, he doesn't, Frostwhisker will be deputy.