Chapter 1

Dragging a paw over her ear, Thunderstar watched her Clanmates. The kits were tumbling out of the nursery, chasing each other's tails. An apprentice, Bushpaw to be exact, was helping reinforce the dens. Warriors were sharing tongues. Waterleaf was scampering between the nursery and the elder’s den, trying to ensure no-one had greencough. A small purr of amusement escaped her throat, placing her paw back on the ground and standing up. She leapt from the rock she was perched on, heading towards the small medicine cat.

“Do you need any help there, Waterleaf?” Her voice caught the she-cat off guard. She looked at her leader, shaking her head, then continuing her scurrying. “Are you sure? You seem to be pulling yourself into several different directions.”

“I have Featherspots to help me, but thank you anyway. She is off getting some catmint. I don't want greencough coming through and killing our Clanmates,” with those words, Waterleaf disappeared into the elder's den once more.

A small sigh escaped the silver she-cat as she padded back to the rock. Ever since she became leader, she has found herself more bored with nothing to do. Back when she was deputy she could relieve her boredom by setting up patrols, then going on other types of patrols. As she sat down, her ears pricked upward. A patrol was coming back, sun-high barely having passed

Bluestorm pushed his way through the entrance first and padded towards her. Her paws tingles with excitement, what does he have to report? He reached her side, dipping his head as greeting, and sat down next to her.

“We have found SnowClan scent inside our borders, not far enough to steal prey but too far if you ask me. Also, on the outside edge of our borders, where it's just more forest, we have caught scent of strange cats. I have no clue who they are or their intentions, but we shall keep our eyes and ears out.”

“Interesting. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I would like a few more patrols, not enough to exhaust our warriors, by the SnowClan border. If you, or any other cat, catches more SnowClan scent or sees them, please let me know. I wouldn't want a fight over borders to happen, but it might.”

“And the strange cats?”

“As for them, I shall take a small patrol and we will investigate it,” she mewed, gaining a small nod from Bluestorm. They both rose to their paws, glancing around the clearing. “I need a really good hunter and for you to lead me to the place you caught their scent.”

“Would it be fine if my apprentice tags along? He needs the experience and this would be the perfect practice,” Bluestorm spoke, Thunderstar nodding to his words. “Tinysong would be a good choice of tracker.”

“Okay sounds good. You get Bushpaw and I will grab Tinysong,” Thunderstar stated, bounding away to find the small she-cat. She headed to the warriors den and poked her head in, spotting Tinysong helping with the renovations.

Tinysong’s whiskers twitched before she turned her head towards the entrance. Her ear flicked and she waved her tail before rising to her paws, gently making her way to her leader.

“Yes, Thunderstar? Did you need something?”

“I did. I needed your tracking skills for something. You can hurry and wrap up here before we head out.”

Tinysong nodded before heading back into the den, telling her Clanmates to finish without her. Thunderstar backed out and leapt to entrance, sitting down with her tail wrapped around her paws neatly. Bluestorm and Bushpaw headed towards her, Bushpaw bouncing as he walked. Tinysong came bounding out of the warriors den, nearly colliding with the apprentice.

“Alright, Bluestorm, lead the way,” he nodded before taking the lead. Thunderstar fell in step with Tinysong, her nose twitching. Bushpaw was alert, his ears pricked and his eyes darting back and forth.