Chapter 4

The ground was freezing under his pads, the sky blotted out by dark pine trees. A shiver rippled up his spine, his fur fluffing out instinctively. When he came nose to nose with a brown tabby-tom he froze, prepared to defend himself of necessary. The tom’s amber eyes stared at him before looking off into the trees.

“I can't save you,” he murmured, the black tom tilting his head. The distance between them got smaller before they touched noses, the tabby-tom closing his eyes. “Nothing can save you from this terror.”

***

Grassfelt jolted awake, a groggy feeling pooling in his limbs. He stretched as he stood, his vision slightly blurry. He took a quick glance around the warriors den, finding none of his Clanmates nearby, before heading out to the clearing. He blinked a few times as he got the final grips of sleep off of him.

“Good morning, Grassfelt!” Thunderstar’s yowled from across the clearing, her tail motioning him towards her. He let out a small groan before weaving through the camp to his leader. Bluestorm shouldered his way to her side, an ever present glare on his face.

“Grassfelt,” he mewed sternly, shifting his gaze to Thunderstar. “As you requested, an extra patrol has been sent to the border. From what I have gathered, there seem to be a few rogues living in that direction but nothing to get worked up about yet.” She nodded to his words, a far away look in her eyes.

“Thunderstar, you needed me for something?” Grassfelt interrupted, his tail swishing back and forth as he sat down. The amber glare on him darkened, reminding him of the nightmare he endured moments earlier.

“I did!” Her mew was cheery and her face spoke joy, yet her eyes were darker, reading off a slight bout of anger. “Bluestorm and I were planning on hunting, near the end border. I was wondering if you would like to join us?”

“Thunderstar, that doesn't seem-”

“Hush, Bluestorm. We could always use an extra set of paws.”

He glanced between his leader and the deputy, slightly off put by the large tom. It would be nice to stretch my legs a bit more after that dream, yet Bluestorm might have an underlying issue with me going. I guess it’s time to step on his tail a bit.

“Sure, I'll join. Just like apprenticeship, huh?” He settled his gaze on his leader. The cat he grew up with. They were best friends, always hunting and patrolling together. Yet, when she became leader, they lost all connection.

She bounced to her paws, her tail fluffing up. She trotted in place, excitement clear on her face, before bounding to the entrance. Grassfelt rose to his paws and calmly padded after her, Bluestorm catching up to him.

“Ready? Last one there is a kittypet!” As the words left her mouth, she bolted out of camp. Grassfelt leapt after her, their paws barely making any noise on the dirt ground. Bluestorm sped past him, his tail streaming behind him, before colliding with Thunderstar.

“Are you trying to scare away all of the prey?” He was heard hissing, having just been caught up with. The deputy was hovering over her, his front paws on either her chest or the ground. A small pang felt in the pit of his stomach, seeing how close the two were.

“Oh, please. I am the same color as those rocks. Besides,” she wiggled her way free, gently licking her shoulder, “we have been trained to be silent. No matter how fast we are running.” She shifted her gaze over to him, a subtle spark of amusement dancing in her eyes.

Bluestorm rolled his eyes, “whatever. I will be over here, trying to find something to take back to the Clan.” He padded towards the border, taking a sharp left before he reached it. His blue-gray pelt disappeared into a bush, the rustling leaves being the only trace left behind.