Chapter 5

Waterleaf froze, her tail bushing out as the screech of a cat filled the clearing. She poked her head out of the medicine den, her apprentice Featherspots nudging past her, her gaze fixed on a duo of MistClan warriors dragging something in between them. Her paws lead her out towards the two, having caught the scent of blood. Upon further inspection she found someone not something.

"What is the meaning of this?" Thunderstar's calm voice asked, horror blatant in her eyes. The warriors looked at her before dropping the body. The lifeless corpse of Leafhawk lay sprawled out in the middle of camp, Blazesoar and Silvernose stared emotionlessly at the leader.

"Pricklestar wanted us to give you a present, we hope you enjoy it," Blazesoar spoke, her tone mocking and annoyed, before the two left the camp, leaving the dead warrior behind.

"I was told that last time a warrior died in MistClan, they gave the body to SnowClan," Featherspots murmured beside her. Waterleaf nodded, too choked up to respond with words.

What kind of monsters would do this? How far will they go? She thought, gently padding towards Leafhawk. She pressed her nose against his ear, no warmth meeting her touch. She looked at the sky, sunhigh just barely having passed. She placed her tail along his shoulders, sadness crashing into her.

"I am uncertain if Tinywind spoke the words of a medicine cat to Leafhawk, seeing as they just toss the bodies aside. I feel as if he was not meant to die like this, not meant to die at this time. I believe we shall bury him as one of our own, give him the proper send off he deserves." The Clan lowered their heads, sorrow taking over everycat.

"Waterleaf, I give you full permission to gift Leafhawk with the journey to StarClan. May we not be too late and may StarClan grant him access," her words were quiet as she leaned against Grassfelt. The pain of losing anyone swept through the clearing, each cat muttering to StarClan for forgiveness.

Waterleaf laid herself hesitantly against Leafhawk, her nose barely touching his head. "May StarClan give you happiness for as long as you run with them. May the darkness of MoonClan never cross your path. If you have broken the Warrior Code, may all be forgiven as you stand before the ranks. StarClan, protect this lost soul as he journeys and hunts with you, for he is now a StarClan warrior."

"Given the circumstances that Leafhawk was given to us, I am positive he was murdered by his Clanmates. MistClan does things differently and we can't accuse them of anything. This young warrior shall live a happy life in StarClan. Bluestorm, I assume you shall assemble the burial team. Featherspots, you will be responsible for the herbal send off. I must speak with Waterleaf about Clan matters." Thunderstar disappeared into her den, leaving the Clan to bury Leafhawk on their own.

Waterleaf watched as the Clan shifted uncomfortably, the leader normally postponing Clan matters until after the burial, her own unease filling her paws with stone. Her muscles coated themselves with ice as a fire blazed through the camp. Her Clanmates wisped away in piles of smoke and ash, leaving nothing but a crippling voice.

"The Moon shall shift into the Stars' territory causing great unbalance. Nothing will save you from this terror, yet when the world crumbles weather will be its savior," the flames burnt out, everyone continuing on with their business. She looked up at the sky, clouds telling her rain was coming.

Shaking her pelt, she turned towards the Hightree and her paws pushed her forward. The roots of the tree were large and gnarled, leaving an opening for a den to be made. She wriggled her way in, Thunderstar perched neatly on her nest.

"You wanted to speak with me, Thunderstar?" She asked, the vision burning itself into her mind. The leader turned her gaze towards the medicine cat, a glazed over look in her eyes.

"I did. Grassfelt is having some...issues with sleep. I want you to keep an eye on him until the problem goes away. As usual, I have an apprentice that I feel is deserving of their warrior name at this time. Since I always consult you on this matter, does Blackpaw seem ready to be a warrior?"

"If Tinysong believes he should and you believe he should, than there is nothing stopping you. You are the leader here, you make the decisions," Waterleaf reminded her, sympathy present in her mew.

"Alright, thank you Waterleaf. You are dismissed." She backed out of the den, ducking her head so as to not bang it on a root. The smell of rain had fallen over the air, a cold wind blowing through the clearing. Cats were pressed up together, trying to warm up again.

Across the clearing, Bluestorm noticed her leaving the leader's den, his strides leading him straight towards her. She stood still, giving him a curt nod as he got close. He sat in front of her and tilted his head, prompting her to do the same. After a brief hesitation, Waterleaf sat down and wrapped her tail around her paws.

"I take it she hasn't asked for me?" He asked, looking past her into the den. Silence spread through both of them for a few moments, the awkwardness prickling in her paws.

"No, she didn't ask for you. However, she isn't unreasonable. Start the conversation yourself and she should listen. If she doesn't, tell me and I will talk to her about it," she replied, standing up and padding to the medicine den. As she reached the small bramble den, she turned her head and saw Bluestorm slip into the leader's den.

Waterleaf pushed her way into the den, heading towards the herb store. Her paw gently brushed the top of the different stacks, a silent count in her head. Featherspots entered the den a moment later, her tail swishing back and forth. Her apprentice sat down next to her, her eyes scanning the herbs before landing on some poppy seeds.

"Grassfelt has been having some troubles sleeping, you should give him some thyme. I also would appreciate if you would check on the queens in the nursery, last I checked Thundershock was having a hard time with her milk production," Waterleaf said, not looking away from the herb store. She could see a silver paw take some thyme and borage leaves before she could hear the entrance of the den rustle.

Once the store was accounted for, a few herbs having a low count, she curled up in her nest. She stretched out her legs having a yawn forcing its way out, before she rested her head on her front paws, letting sleep take over.