Chapter 12

The half moon bathed the usually dark forest in a small pool of light. Lightningstar led his Clan down a small hill, the wind blowing the scent of MistClan towards his nose. Pushing his way through a thorns bush he reached a clearing, the Clanmates he brought along spreading out.

He bunched up his legs and leapt, landing squarely on the GreatStump. The two Clans mixed together, greeting each other in a friendly manner. Pricklestar sat at the base, rubbing his nose along a small she-cat, a purr barely audible above the chatter.

Glancing around the clearing, he couldn't spot the MistClan medicine cat. Fireleaf caught on as well, leaping up next to his leader. The ginger tom searched through the crowd before glancing at his leader, a look of sadness and hopelessness said enough.

“Pricklestar, where is Tinywind?” Lightningstar asked, pushing Fireleaf back to the roots of the GreatStump.

Pricklestar leapt up beside him, a glare in his eyes, “She stayed back at camp. Something about being sick or something.” He gave Lightningstar a look that dared him to call him out on the lie.

“Everyone is here unless you have some stragglers, shall we start the Rally?” He ignored the dare, moving his gaze over the crowd.

“I believe we will, would you like to start or?”

“You go, I need a moment to get my thoughts in check.”

“Alright,” Pricklestar turned to the cats seated below him. “As all of you know, prey has been plentiful since we drove out BoltClan. We have lost Leafhawk to those vile cats and so we feel a lot safer to be rid of them. We also have a new warrior, Cinderfire fought hard in the battle and has earned her name.”

Cheers for the new warrior met his ears, a quiet snort escaping him. Pricklestar turned toward him, his gaze prompting him to speak.

“Prey is fine for us as well. Rednose’s litter has finally been made apprentices to Firestorm and Breezebee; Cedarpaw and Violetpaw. We have lost a Clanmate as well, our elder Frostfire has been taken by greencough. He was the worst of them and we couldn't get to him in time. But everyone else is recovering just fine.”

The cats in the clearing cheered for the two new apprentices. A slight rustling of the bushes made him start, before realizing the wind had started up again. He glanced to the other leader beside him.

“Well then, I believe that brings an end to this Rall-"

“I'm not quite so sure about that, Pricklestar,” Thunderstar’s voice rang out as she broke into the clearing, a small group of cats behind her.

“Is that all that's left of your wimpy Clan? Two warriors and two medicine cats? That isn't going to survive for long, would you like to join us or be stuck as rogues?” Lightningstar sneered, growls coming from his Clanmates.

Thunderstar ignored his harsh words, leaping to stand beside the two leaders. She sat down, her tail curling neatly over her paws, as she surveyed the group before her.

“I come bearing news, that I believe you all shall hear. First and foremost, BoltClan has lost no one in the attack. Second, we are still thriving despite your best efforts. And third, which I would love for you to bring to your other Clanmates, any cat that feels like their Clan is doing wrong has full right to join us.”

“That's quite a bold statement, are you sure you can go through with it?” Pricklestar snarled, his claws scraping the GreatStump.

“Now, now, Pricklestar. This is a Rally. We never said they couldn't join us on these nights, we just took their territory. Let her speak as freely as she wants now, but if we find any BoltClan warriors within a fox-length of our new territory, all of BoltClan will be sorry.”