Chapter 3

Sitting on a rock in the middle of camp, Pricklestar observed his Clanmates with his tail tip twitching. Leafhawk stretched as he left the warriors den. He gave a brief nod to his leader as he padded across the clearing, out the tunnel. Pricklestar narrowed his eyes, Leafhawk just returning from four patrols.

He leapt off the rock, brushing pelts accidentally with Vineleg as she watched her kits under the boulder. She glared at him, gaining a hiss as he stalked through the entrance and followed Leafhawk’s scent.

It seemed as if he was sure someone was going to follow him, his scent winding in a strange pattern. Pricklestar was lead to the border of BoltClan before he caught up with his warrior.

Leafhawk sat with his tail curled around his paws, his back to his leader. A she-cat pushed her way out of the bushes and sat on the opposite side of the border. Her tail lashing  back and forth as she glared across at the tom.

“Well, what is so important that you couldn't have waited until tonight to tell me?” The she-cat hissed, her fur bristling. She stood abruptly, her eyes scanning the clearing.

“Echoflame, I have two things and they correspond with each other. Pricklestar is planning on launching an on BoltClan and driving you guys out, enlisting the help of SnowClan. I have done some scouting and there are other groups off towards the eastern borders. I suggest you convince Thunderstar that she needs to prepare for an all out war,” Leafhawk warned, causing Pricklestar to snarl.

The two perked their ears at the sound. Pricklestar padded forward, standing at Leafhawk’s shoulder. He looked down at the two warriors, suspicion clear in his eyes. The she-cat glared at the toms while Leafhawk hung his head in shame.

“Echoflame, is it? Feel free to tell your leader anything you hear from an enemy’s Clanmate. And do remember to tell her that mice are the color of the leaves and kittypets are welcomed here.” Echoflame hissed at him before turning around and disappearing into her own territory.

“Listen, Pricklestar-”

“I don't want to hear it. You deliberately disobeyed your Clan and by that you disobeyed me. You know how that always ends, now come with me before I claw your ears off.”

They made their way back to camp, padding through the undergrowth. Pricklestar leapt over a stump, landing on it before quickly jumping off. Leafhawk weaved around it, his tail drooping.

After pushing their way through the tunnel, Pricklestar bounded across the clearing and jumped onto the Highlog.

He stood there a moment, Leafhawk slowly moving to sit below his leader.

“All cats old enough to kill, gather beneath the Highlog for a Clan meeting!” He yowled, cats from all dens gathering and gossiping on why their leader called them. It was always a rare sight to see Pricklestar on the Highlog, apprentices never making it to warriors and apprentice ceremonies done by the mother and mentor.

Tinywind pushed her way to the front of the crowd, leaping up beside him. “Pricklestar, I want you to know that whatever happened in StarClan is something between us. I just wanted to let you know before you blabbed to the entire Clan,” she said, gently padding off the log to her den.

“Now that I have your attention, Leafhawk was spotted at the BoltClan border and he was speaking with a BoltClan warrior about Clan matters.” A few ripples of whispers broke out, mostly consisting of, “have him deal with the elders for a moon.”

“That isn't so bad, I speak to BoltClan about Clan matters all the time. At gatherings and during the full moon visit to the Sunstone. I don't see the problem,” Tinywind’s voice carried above the murmurs, a few glares sent her way.

“Well, Tinywind, you are a medicine cat. Clan matters to you consist of kits and herb trading. However, Leafhawk here was seen speaking about the upcoming battle, which we had agreed to be a secret until we went through with it. I believe that is the problem,” Pricklestar retorted, his voice calm and his eyes glaring at the medicine cat.

“Kill him!”

“Gut him!”

“Make him wish he was never born!”

The Clan called out, glares of hatred aimed at Leafhawk. He gulped, having been friends with these cats earlier this morning. Pricklestar leaped off the Highlog, his claws unsheathed. Leafhawk bared his teeth, getting his claws ready. Just as he was about to strike, Birchfur and Flamestreak leapt at him, their claws raking his face and sides.

He let out a snarl before slashing at his former Clanmates, blood dripping off of him in waves. He jumped at Flamestreak, sinking his teeth into his shoulder. Birchfur clawed at his flank, Pricklestar leapt forward and pushed him off of his ginger Clanmate. He was pinned to the ground, three older toms aiming to kill him.

With his death in mind, he rammed his head forward, catching Pricklestar off guard. He managed to get to his paws before getting bowled over by Birchfur. The deputy sank his teeth in his tail, tugging him one way. Flamestreak took this as an opportunity and started to scar his face. Pricklestar ducked down and pushed upward on his belly, knocking him onto his back. With one last snarl at Leafhawk, Pricklestar raked his claws from neck to tail, blood pouring out of every wound.

Tinywind stared in horror as she watched her Clanmate get murdered. This being the life of MistClan, she knew that betrayal meant death. However, she didn't want to witness it in her life. She tried to defend him, to keep him away from this fate, yet she failed. This was the second time she lost someone, her mother losing her life whilst Tinywind was an apprentice. She didn't want to witness anything else as horrifying as her own brother getting ripped apart in front of her. She shook herself and disappeared into her den, not wanting to know what they did to the body.

She could hear the insults being sneered at his dead body, the disrespect filling her with hatred. Why was she born in this awful Clan? Why couldn't her family been raised in a nicer place? The scuffling of dirt and the small grunts told her that they were taking the body elsewhere. How could they do this to their medicine cat? Was trauma what she needed when she was saving a cat from death?

She collapsed into her nest, disappointed in herself. She should have saved him. She should have done something. Anything. Risked her life for him, her the only medicine cat they had. She was the only one qualified for healing. Yet, why didn't she do anything? It couldn't have been she wanted him dead, was it? Tinywind let out a hiss of frustration and curled up in her nest, hoping that StarClan would send her a sign of forgiveness.