ZAKÂT (Obligatory Charity)

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

                        ZAKÂT

A person who has some wealth and still does not take out zakât for it, is regarded as a great sinner in the sight of Allah Ta'ala. He will be severely punished on the day of judgment.

Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said: "The person who possesses gold and silver and does not give zakât for it, then on the day of judgement, slabs of fire will be made for him. These slabs will be heated in the fire of jahannam and his sides, forehead and back will be branded with them. When these slabs become cool, they will be re-heated and the entire process will be repeated."

Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam also said: "The person who has been given wealth by Allah Ta'ala and despite this does not give zakât for it, then on the day of judgement this wealth of his will be turned into a huge poisonous snake which will encircle his neck. It will then tear the sides of his mouth apart and tell him: 'I am your wealth and I am your treasures.'"

We seek refuge in Allah Ta'ala. Who can bear such severe punishment? It is the height of foolishness and stupidity that we are prepared to pay such a great penalty for a little greed and selfishness on our part. It is extremely foolish and improper to refuse to spend in the path of Allah the wealth that Allah Himself has granted to us.

1. If a person possesses 612.35 grams of silver or 87.479 grams of gold or any currency that equals the value of this amount of gold or silver, and this wealth remains in his possession for a complete year, then on the expiry of this year it will be wajib on him to give zakât for it. If his wealth is less than this, zakât will not be wajib. If it is more than this, zakât will still be wajib.

2. A person possessed the complete nisâb for about four to six months. Thereafter, this nisâb decreased, and after about three months he acquired some other wealth (and he once again possesses the complete nisâb, even in such a case zakât will be wajib on him.) In other words, if a person possesses the nisâb at the beginning and at the end of the year, zakât will be wajib on him. By the nisâb decreasing during the course of the year, one is not absolved of giving one’s zakât.

However, if his entire wealth is lost and he finds it later, then the beginning of the year will be calculated from the time that he finds his wealth. (The period prior to that will not be calculated).

3. A person possessed the nisâb but prior to the expiry of one year all his wealth is lost and it was not in his possession for the complete year. In such a case zakât will not be wajib.

4. A person possesses the full nisâb and also has debts which equal the nisâb. In such a case zakât will not be wajib.