Sunnats of Mashwarah

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

Mashwarah - To consult others opinions.

 Islam greatly exhorts the practice of Mashwara (mutual consultation) in all matters of importance. Whether relating to individual issues, matters relating to the home, matters relating to the community or a country, Islam emphasizes the importance and great benefits of Mashwara. This meritorious practice of great benefit is strongly encouraged:

1. by the Qur'an e Majeed

2. by the Hadith Shareef

3. by the practical example of Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam)

4. by the practice of the Sahaabah (RadiyAllahu anhum) and the Pious Elders of all eras.

SUNNATS OF MASHWARAH

S.1 All important decisions which a person has to make should be reached through careful consideration and mutual consultation of close and relevant associates. This is referred to as Mashwarah and applies to all matters whether domestic, business, religious or otherwise.

S.2 To make Mashwarah is really an order of Allah SWT and the practice of our Nabi Muhammad SAW. It is therefore, one of the high-ranking deeds of a Muslim’s life and offers great blessings, rewards and success.

S.3 However, it is essential to follow the example of our Prophet SAW in making Mashwarah and to adhere to the simple etiquettes taught by him.

S.4 Firstly, an Ameer-e-Mashwarah is appointed and Du‘a is made.

S.5 The Ameer (leader) will then mention whatever has to be discussed and will request for the opinions of others present.

S.6 Only those who are requested to do so should speak. Nobody else will have the right to speak simultaneously or to interrupt in any way.

S.7 The Ameer can ask each one in turn for an opinion or he may just call upon a few for this.

S.8 A person who is asked for an opinion must exercise great caution. He should have a clear conscience and be very sincere. Personal matters must never affect his thinking. He must consider the subject under discussion and then mention whatever Allah SWT puts into his heart.

S.10 If a person’s opinion happens to be different to that of others, he must not make unfair remarks or humiliate anybody but must simply state his own idea with perhaps a reason or two to support his suggestion.

S.10 If a person is not asked for an opinion by the Ameer (even though all others may have spoken) he should not be offended. Rather he should be pleased to realize that Allah is All-Knowing and if He so wishes, He can transfer anybody’s thoughts into the heart of the Ameer.

S.11 If someone sincerely wishes to talk on some important relevant matter he must obtain the permission of the Ameer before doing so.

S.12 The Ameer will finally make the decision. This will be done according to his discretion guided by the thoughts Allah SWT places into his heart.

S.13 It is important to realize that in Islam our total reliance is solely upon Allah at all times. Therefore, the decision of the Ameer need not necessarily follow the wishes of the majority (or minority). In fact, it can very well happen that the Amir decides altogether differently depending on how Allah guides his thinking.

S.14 Once a decision has been given, everyone is obliged to strictly abide by it. If for some reason, a decision fails to produce the desired result then nobody must complain because only Allah SWT knows the best.

S.15 If someone’s suggestion was not followed he must never complain even if later it apparently appears that he seemed to be right. (In fact whilst offering suggestions one should be hopeful that it be not acceptable for fear of possible error in judgement).

S.16 The Mashwarah is concluded with Du ‘a and there should be no other “small” Mashwarahs thereafter to criticize the pros and cons of what had transpired.

A/N :)

In our home, our Abba is the Ameer (naturally ;)) we have always practiced Mashwarah Alhamdulillah, even during those days when I and my siblings were small, our parents would still include us in the Mashwara and ask our opinions regarding the matter being discussed. The final decision of course, Abbu decides. So, do try to follow this great Sunnah and as our Nabi SAW said:

"One who observes Istikhaara is never disappointed; and the one who takes counsel (Mashwarah) is never put to shame; and the one who observes economy does not have to depend on others."

-Tabarani

With Duas and Salaam,

abdurRahman.