Sunnats pertaining to Dreams...

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

 ‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                     -Aameen.

SUNNATS PERTAINING TO DREAMS

S.1. One should recite ‘Alhamdulillah’ upon seeing a pleasant dream. (Bukhari- S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 428)

S.2. One should mention a pleasant dream to others. (Ibid).

S.3. Our Nabi (S.A.W) said that if any person sees an unpleasant dream then one should spit on his left side three times and thereafter read the following Dua:

"Allahumma Innii A'uudhubika min 'Amalish-shaitaani wa sayyi'aatil Ahlaami."

O Allah! I seek your protection from the action of Satan and from bad dreams. (Ibn Sunni- S.K. -Vol.1 : Pg. 420)

S.4. Our Nabi (S.A.W) used to enquire from the Sahabah (R.A.) after the Fajr salah if any of them saw any dreams. (Bukhari - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 423)

S.5. Nabi (S.A.W) after enquiring (after the Fajr salah) if any companion had seen a dream used to say, "Prophethood will not remain after me but for truthful dreams." (Abu Dawud - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 425)

S.6. Our Nabi (S.A.W) used to give the interpretation of dreams after the Fajr Salah. (Bukhari-S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 425)

S.7. Nabi (S.A.W) has said that the dream will unfold according to the first interpretation. (Ibn Majah - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 426)

Note: It is, therefore, advised that dreams not be disclosed to all and sundry. Nabi (S.A.W) has said that the occurrence in real life will be in accordance to the interpretation of the dream. (S.K. - Vol. 1: Pg. 426)

S.8. When listening or giving an interpretation to a dream one should read the following:

"Khairun Talqaahu Sharrun Tawaqqaahu Wa Khairul-Lanaa wa Sharrul-Li’a‘daa’inaa Walhamdu Lillahi Rabbil-‘Alameen."

“May good reach you. May you be protected from evil, good for us and evil for our enemies. All praise is for Allah the Sustainer of the worlds.” (S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 42)

S.9. Nabi (S.A.W) has said that a believer’s dream is a forty six portion of Prophethood. (S.K. - Vol. 1: Pg. 42)

Note: For six months prior to our Prophet (S.A.W) receiving revelation, he was blessed with truthful dreams. Those six months in relation to the entire period of twenty three years in which Nabi (S.A.W) received revelation, equals to a forty sixth part. (Bukhari- S. K.-Vol. 1 :Pg.42)

S.10. Our Nabi (S.A.W) said that if any person sees a pleasant dream then they should say 'Alhamdullillah' which means, “All praise is due to Allah”, and mention it to others. (Bukhari - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 42)

S.11. Our Prophet (S.A.W) said dreams are of one of the following types:

a) Ones thoughts for which there is no interpretation.

b) From Satan:

i) Then Seek refuge in Allah;

ii) Spit (blowing action without actual emission saliva) three times on the left side;

iii) Change the side of sleeping;

iv) Do not mention such a dream or nightmare to anyone. (S.K.-Vol. l : Pg.43)

Allah willing no harm will come to such a person.

c) Glad tidings from Allah, then mention such a dream to pious, knowledgeable, well wisher to interpret in positive manner. (Ibn Majah - S.K. - Vol. l : Pg. 429]

S. 12. Nabi (S.A.W) has said that nightmares are from Satan and they should not be mentioned to anyone and good dreams are from Allah and they should be mentioned only to one’s friends. (Bukhari- S.K. - Vol. 1: Pg. 430)

S.13. Our Nabi (S.A.W) has said that the dream seen before true dawn is mostly true. (Tirmidhi- S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 433)

S. 14. Nabi (S.A.W) has said that the dream of a truthful person will also be true. (Ibn Majah - S.K. Vol. 1 : Pg. 434)

S.15. Our beloved Nabi (S.A.W) has said that whosoever sees him i.e. Nabi (S.A.W) in a dream has really seen him as, Satan cannot adopt the form of our Nabi and such a person will not enter hell. (S.K.-Vol. 1 :Pg. 442)

S.16. It should be noted that the laws of Shari‘ah, after the demise of Nabi (S.A.W), are not established by means of dreams.

 FORGIVENESS ;))

Hazrat Salman Farsi (R.A.) narrates that he once went to visit the Holy Prophet (S.A.W). The Holy Prophet (S.A.W) presented Hazrat Salman Farsi (R.A.) with a pillow and said that whoever offers his guest a pillow, Allah SWT will most definitely forgive his sins. - (Hayatus Sahabah)

A/N ;)

Well who doesn't have dreams? whether good or bad we all have had our fair share of them...but Alhamdulillah now we know what to do if we see a nightmare and also that shouting from the roof tops if you get an amazing dream is not such a great idea xD but rather we should share it with our friends and consult its interpretation with those who are pious and wise...

Ah blessed are those, again blessed and again most blessed are those who have seen our beloved Master and Prophet Muhammed (S.A.W) in their dreams, They are chosen people, if you are of that most honoured catergory or if someone whom you know have seen our Habib (S.A.W) in their dream, can you please do me a little favour? Just remember this slave of Ar Rahman in your most special Duas without fail Insha Allah, and it is most beautiful to ask Dua for others by their name, so the name is Adila ;) please don't forget, Jazak Allahu Khairan Kaseera.. for we never know whose Dua Allah SWT accepts immediately and what you ask for others, the angels ask the same and more for you!

With all her Duas and Salaam,

    abdurRahman (Gudi ;))