Salat ut Tahajjud (Prayer of the Night!)

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                    -Aameen.

THE TAHAJJUD SALAH (PRAYER OF THE NIGHT)

Our Master, the beloved Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) has said:

In Paradise there is a castle reserved for those who read Tahajjud Salah and the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) further adds, those who pray at night will enter paradise without having to account for their acts in this life.

The Nafl Salah of Tahajjud are read after the Esha prayer, but it is important to sleep before performing Tahajjud.

To sleep with the intention of getting up for Tahajjud. (Nisa ’i)

The prayer consists of a minimum of 2 Rak‘ats, and a maximum of 8 or 12 Rak‘ats (to be read according ones capacity).

After Esha Salah sleep for some time, then wake up any time during the night before the rise of morning for Tahajjud prayers. (Before Fajr Salah)

With the performance of 2 Rak‘ats you have duly achieved your Tahajjud.

 However, the performance of 8 Rak‘ats is Sunnat, and complying with the practice of the Holy Saints of Islam and performing 12 Rakats is commendable.

Our Nabi (S.A.W) read so long rakats in his optional (Nafl) Salah that his blessed feet became swollen.

It is recommended that you recite in your prayers as much of the Sacred Quran as you know. If you happen to know by heart the whole of the Sacred Quran you may, in at least 3 nights or most 4 nights of Tahajjud effectuate the complete reading of the Sacred Quran.

 Otherwise, you may recite 3 Surah Ikhlas (Qul Hu Allahu Ahad) after your "Alhamdu..." in every Rakat and you will thus derive full benefits of the full recital of the Sacred Quran in every Rakat.

Narrated Hudhaifa : Whenever the Prophet got up for Tahajjud prayer he used to clean his mouth (and teeth) with Miswak.

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar : A man said, "O Allah's Apostle (S.A.W)! How is the prayer of the night?" He (S.A.W) said, "Two rak'at followed by two rak'at and so on, and when you apprehend the approaching dawn, offer one rak'a as witr." (Bukhari)

One may also make zikr, tilawat (recitation) and it is alsopermissible to sleep after Tahajjud Salah, provided only that one ensures that the Fajr Salah is not missed.

Narrated Abu Huraira Allah's Apostle (S.A.W) said, "Satan puts three knots at the back of the head of any of you if he is asleep.

 On every knot he reads and exhales the following words, 'The night is long, so stay asleep.'

 When one wakes up and remembers Allah, one knot is undone; and when one performs ablution, the second knot is undone, and when one prays the third knot is undone and one gets up energetic with a good heart in the morning; otherwise one gets up lazy and with a mischievous heart."

Narrated 'Abdullah : A person was mentioned before the Prophet(S.A.W) and he was told that he had kept on sleeping till morning and had not got up for the prayer. The Prophet (S.A.W)said, "Satan urinated in his ears." (Sahih al Bukhari)

A most beautiful Hadith revealing the virtue of Tahajjud and the supplications we ask after praying it. “Abu Huraira (r.a) reported Allah's Messenger (May peace be upon him) as saying:

Allah (Glorified and Exalted is He!) descends every night to the lowest heaven when one-third of the first part of the night is over and says: I am the Lord; I am the Lord: who is there to supplicate Me so that I answer him? Who is there to beg of Me so that I grant him? Who is there to beg forgiveness from Me so that I forgive him? He (Allah SWT) continues like this till the day breaks.” -(Imam Muslim)

 A/N ;)

Hope this was most helpful and yeah don’t forget me in those blessed special Du’as which you ask to Allah SWT after praying Tahajjud ;))) Jazak Allahu Khairan Kaseera!

With Duas and Salaam,

abdurRahman (Gudi ;))