Part Thirty

PART THIRTY ~

"Kili!" Arien called, searching desperately amongst the battling crowd. All around her, swords and axes were being swung diligently, armour was repelling their might and flesh was being pierced by their deadly edges. Orcs and dwarves alike were collapsing with life-threatening wounds and praying for their families' safety as they departed from the world.

Arien saw all of this as she searched for Fili's brother, hoping he was not one of the fallen. Her feet narrowly avoided tripping over the countless lifeless bodies that were scattered about the plain as she nimbly darted past her fallen comrades. Her greasy, knotted hair slapped across her face as a keen wind rolled over the field. Kili was nowhere to be seen; perhaps he lay amongst the countless bodies around her. Perhaps it was too late.

But perhaps not, for at the head of the battle, high in the distance upon a hill of corpses, the dwarf stood proud and magnificent, a true symbol of a Dwarven Warrior, a true descendent of Thrain and Thror, and of course Thorin . Wielding a sword of the finest Dwarven mithril, bearing a shield with the Oakenshield crest, clad in armour stained with the blood of the enemy.

Arien marvelled at the sight, as his shoulders heaved and his chest rose and he let out a roar, slicing his sword through the air with a wail like shattering glass. She had to reach him!

She propelled herself forward, into the mob of berserk warriors, all hungry for the taste of the enemy's blood. She gasped heavily, the stench of sweat mingling with death greeting her nostrils in a nauseating embrace. Kili was slowly making his way down the hillside, a trail of lifeless orcs following in his wake.

At long last, she reached the dwarven prince, panting heavily. Arien doubled-over, gasping noisily, the grip on her sword faltering slightly. She raised her head to meet Kili's and fell into a comforting embrace.

"Where is my brother?" He inquired, his gaze falling to the corpse littered plain, as he gently pulled away from her. 

"He's been poisoned, but he's with the healers. I'm sure he'll he able to pull through," she responded, speaking hastily, hoping that what she said was true.

Kili nodded, his stance still straight, though a sorrowful guise passed through his features. "The battle looks to be a success," he commented, and Arien followed his gaze to see the dwarves overcoming the less-skilled opponents with a great power. "However, we've lost many in numbers. Their bravery will not go unnoticed." He seemed to mumble the last part to himself, and his mood darkened slightly.

"I'm sure we can handle things here. Go, Arien, my brother needs you!"

~

A/N: Sorry this is such a short, short update! I just needed to write something 'cause I'm so bored! I'm off school for another day - my parents refuse to let me go back until I'm fully healed and I've stopped going all dizzy and loosing my balance. 

Thanks for reading! Please VOTE!

~ _imagine_fantasy_