Part Nine

PART NINE ~

"Hey. What's wrong, bro?"

Fili threw his gaze from the rippling flames of the fire and glanced up at his brother, towering above him with his arms crossed and a raised eyebrow.

The older dwarf shrugged, fidgeting awkwardly on the grass-clad ground on which he was slumped. "I just... I don't understand why we had to leave so suddenly. I..." He trailed off and shrugged again, before falling silent.

Kili's mouth suddenly widened into an 'O' shape as his eyes sparked with realization, and a grin spread across his face. "You miss her!"

Fili tried to control his breathing and frowned. "Who? Mum?" He put on an act of innocence and waited for his brother to respond.

Kili shook his head, still grinning like a child. "No. Arien."

Fili swallowed nervously. "Well.... I.... Yes," He began, trying desperately to avoid his brothers boring gaze. "Of course I do... I mean.... She's my best friend."

Kili's eyebrow raised again and he let out a soft chuckle but said nothing.

Fili hoped his brother would leave him soon so he could end the awkward conversation and return to his thoughts. Guilt was slowly wearing him down; guilt for leaving Arien; guilt for going into battle without even saying goodbye. Durin knows what could happen out there. But worry was also gnawing steadily at his stomach; worry Arien would never forgive him; worry that something bad would happen to her while he was gone.

"Come on, bro! Come join the rest of us!" Kili's voice broke through his thoughts once more. But, with a huff, he obeyed his brother and followed Kili, glowering at his back. He led him to one of the many camps set across the grassland in an orderly circle. He slumped down next to his brother, spotting his Uncle issuing orders in the distance, and listened to some of the mindless chatter that rang through the air. Fili didn't utter a sound as he watched sparks of amber slash though the air and land, smouldering, in the grass before him.

It was not long before a sudden weariness flooded through him, and his eyelids grew heavy. He found himself slowly drifting into slumber, when he abruptly snapped out of it as a chorus of laughter cut through the air. He frowned and pushed himself off the ground.

"Where are you going?!" Kili called as Fili marched grumpily away from the camp.

"To get some sleep," He declared.

Kili shrugged and resumed the conversation he was having with one of the warriors.

Fili stomped over to a quiet, secluded spot near the edge of the plains and threw himself to the ground. His eyelids drooped as he recounted the progression of the march; the army had been travelling for at least four or five days over the open plain from Erebor. It was somewhat of a wearisome task, and Fili was eager for battle, but marching an army of three thousand was tiring. It looked as though it'd be a while before the real battle begun.

Fili soon drifted off into a restless sleep.