Part Twenty-Four

PART TWENTY-FOUR ~

"You... you wanted to see me," Arien mumbled quietly when Fili stood to greet her.

He nodded solemnly, then abruptly stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a tight embrace. Arien yelped in surprise, but quickly overcame her shock and hugged him back, sliding her arms around his neck and nestling her nose into his shoulder, feeling her cheeks flush slightly red.

"I'm so sorry, Arien," Fili mumbled through her cloak.

She shook her head and chuckled softly, though there was not a hint of laughter present in the gesture.

"I shouldn't have left so soon. In fact, I shouldn't have left at all." The words were muffled and Arien had to strain to distinguish what was being said.

"You don't need to apologize. You were doing what you thought was best, and it was."

As Fili pulled away, Arien became aware of piercing eyes trained on her and the dwarf. As she turned, she met Thoros' eye for a brief second, before he hastily turned away, hurt evident in his face.

Other dwarves were also staring at them in amusement, but she took no notice. "Please, Fili. There is really no need to feel so guilty. At this moment in time, protecting our home is the most important matter. And at least we're together now." At the latter sentence, Arien's voice suddenly became imbued with a slight happiness, and she patted Fili's arms reassuringly, unsure what else to do.

Fili nodded and his face suddenly tightened. "Yes, you're right. We need to hasten. Will you run an errand for me?"

Arien nodded eagerly, glad to be in service of her best friend; this is what she hoped would happen, that she'd be given a chance to prove her loyalty and will to fight.

"I need to see how my brother is getting along. They may already be in battle and I need to determine whether to continue straight to Erebor, or to march to Kili's aid," he began. Arien listened intently. "Most of my scouts have already been sent to search the surrounding forest, and the rest of my soldiers are too wary to travel at such a speed. You seem restless and..."

"I shall go."

Fili nodded hesitantly, deep in thought. But then he shook his head. "Wait. No. I ought to go, really."

Arien frowned. "But you need to command your troops."

Fili shrugged. "I'm sure you and Thoros can handle them," he said quietly, slowly raising his gaze to meet Arien's. "Please? I need to stop relying on other people."

To Fili's surprise, she shook her head. "Thoros will have to command them alone. For I am coming with you!" She declared, her jaw rigid and he eyes burning with determination.

Fili began to shake his head, but saw there was no use in arguing. She was as persistent as they get. "Fine. We shall leave at once! Thoros shall take command and march forth swiftly, and we shall meet up when we know all there is to know. Are you sure you're ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be!"

~

Thoros looked crestfallen when he heard his two best friends were leaving. He was honoured to have been left in control, and he did not want to disappoint Arien, nor Fili, so he had accepted the role with gratefulness, trying to hide his gloominess.

Fili and Arien set out at once, after stocking up on the dwindling provisions. They walked at a continuous, steady pace, hoping to have only brief rests every now and again.

The sweltering sun bathed them both in a golden light for the entire morning, until the sky suddenly darkened with angry clouds rolling from the west, bringing with them a keen wind. The breeze grew fierce, biting and nipping at the companions' bare face. Arien threw up her hands to guard herself against the strong gale, but it was no use, and they were forced to retreat and rest beneath a tight canopy of trees, where the densely packed firs sheltered them from the oncoming wind.

The rain hit soon after they set out again; it hurled down upon them with stinging droplets and they struggled to shield their bare faces from the sharp bites.

It continued for the rest of the evening, but Arien and Fili still plodded on, until they could take it no longer.

"We'll have to find shelter for the night," Fili shouted over the plummeting raindrops. Arien merely nodded in reply, her hair plastered to her face in an unruly mess. She squinted, searching in the gloom for her friend. He was a few paces away, searching for a place to settle down.

"Wait, Arien. Come over here!"

Arien heard his voice cut through the rain and she hurried over to him, pushing against the keen force of the wind. "What is it?" She muttered, unable to see anything but the hazy figures of trees.

"I think we're at the edge of the forest."

"Huh?" She mumbled, stumbling closer to the dwarf, where she found what he was muttering about. The strip of trees came to abrupt stop right before them, and a small field stretched out until it disappeared behind a slight hill. Behind that, a sheer wall of stone could be seen, shining like a beacon in the drizzle. The rocks were reflecting the meagre light of the sun that was beginning to break out of the clouds, dancing in a glittering array of coruscating ripples of light. It was a magnificent sight to behold, and Arien gazed at it with awe. But Fili glared at the ground in disappointment.

"Where on Middle-Earth are we?"

Arien broke out of her trance and stared at Fili in bewilderment. "Well, don't ask me. You were leading us."

Fili growled in anger and huffed. "The stupid rain put us off course," he muttered, wiping the rain from his gleaming forehead. "We'll have to find shelter somewhere; we can't just stand out here."

Arien nodded, and was just about to turn and follow the dwarf when something in the distance caught her attention. A light; a mere flash against the shrouded darkness. There is was again. Arien turned so her eyes were fully training on the mesmerizing ripples of light, flashing every second. She heard Fili's heavy footfalls return as he realised she hadn't been following him, and inquired about her discovery.

"There's something over there," She mumbled. "But I can't quite... oh!" She suddenly gasped, for the object emitting the conspicuous gleam was a sword. And it wasn't wedged into the cliff; no, it was propped up against the opening to a cave.

"Fili, look!" She cried, excitedly pointing in the direction of the opening. "A cave! We can get up there and take shelter from the rain."

"But it'll put us off course," he moaned.

"We're already off course. Now, come on! We'll find our way back tomorrow."

Fili reluctantly agreed, but continued moaning as they trudged through the field. "But there could be anything in there. Bears, wolves, orcs. What if it's a trap? An ambush, perhaps!"

Arien took no heed of his muttering, and continued hastily toward their future refuge.