Part Nineteen

PART NINETEEN ~

Thoros whistled a soft tune as they strode on through the forest, immersed once more in a deep silence. Though it was more sullen than last time; for Arien, anyway. Thoros seemed to have taken the Orc's words lightly, but Arien was deeply distressed, worry constantly nagging at her stomach.

The two companions had headed back the route they had travelled previously since yesterday morning, but Erebor was still a few days ahead of them, and their supplies were quickly dwindling. The girl felt like she deeply regretted setting out; maybe Fili had left without saying anything for a reason... No. He wouldn't. He was her friend, he would never do anything like that on purpose.

As the day wore on, the regret eventually faded and guilt drove in. Guilt for leaving behind her family; she had done the same thing as Fili, leaving those she cared about without saying goodbye. A note wasn't going to do much to ease her mother's worry. It probably would have made it worse, telling her family she was driving herself into battle.

Thoros noticed Arien's pained face and could only imagine what thoughts were running through her head. When the dwarf had left his family, they had nothing to say about his decision, only that they wished him luck and safety. And he supposed they had come to him in times of need. They were safe, and lucky to have come this far.

But with those thoughts in mind, there came a sudden rustle from the thickets to their left, and Arien cried out in surprise as her dim gaze caught sight of a small figure crouched in the bushes. She immediately dragged her weapon from it's sheath and drew it in front of her, holding it steady as she skimmed the shadows, spotting more hazy outlines. Thoros followed her actions, but then quickly dropped his weapon in surprise, for these figures were no orcs. About a dozen soldiers jumped deftly out of the trees, training their swords and battle-axes on the two bewildered warriors. Dwarves! Dwarves she recognised from wandering around Erebor. It was the army. But, no. How could it be? They should be out in the plains, waging some fierce battle.

Arien's grip on her longsword faltered suddenly and it fell to the ground, making a resounding clang! noise as it collided with the grass. Her jaw dropped open and her eyes suddenly widened, for her gaze caught the one person's she didn't expect to see so soon; Fili.

The young dwarven prince was clasping his weapon with a look of bewilderment, his whole face lit in surprise. Even the other soldiers seemed somewhat confused, for they recognised Thoros. The dwarf himself was just as surprised, and his gaze ran along the line of familiar faces as they stood, gawping at each other, in silence.

"But. I... What?!" Thoros muttered, unable to conjure an explanation for what was occurring.

The silence lasted some time, until eventually Fili broke it with a single word. "Arien?!"

A sudden anger overcame her surprise, and Arien felt herself heating up; her cheeks flushing crimson. And before she knew what she was doing, she marched steadily up to her dwarven-friend and let her hand fly free on his cheek. The assault let out a resounding slap and Fili recoiled in hurt and surprise, his hand flying up to his reddened face, and a look of anger passed through his eyes for a fleeting second, but then he realised he deserved it and let his hand fall, loweing his gaze. But then Arien registered what she had done and pulled the dwarf into a tight embrace, wrapping her arms around his neck and letting out a soft laugh, still confused about the situation.

Fili reacted immediately and buried his face in her shoulders, as gleeful as one can be to see his best friend once more, on the eve of a ghastly battle. He let out a small chuckle, and they stayed in the friendly embrace for a few minutes before pulling away and grinning at each other, delighted to be reunited once more, even if it was unexpected, for both of them.

"Arien. I'm so happy to see you... but," He faltered slightly, and his eyes grew sad. "Why are you here? Orcs are travelling to Erebor right this moment and-"

"We know," she responded, glancing quickly at Thoros, who nodded, the grin fading from his face. "That's why we were heading back."

Fili frowned, glancing uncertainly at his two friends, but gave an indifferent shrug; they must have found out some degree of information, but how they did was not important at the moment.

"Why were you out here in the first place?"

Arien chuckled lightly; she suddenly felt untroubled, like a great weight had been lifted off her shoulders after being eased from a burden too heavy to carry on her own. "I came to find you."

~