Part Four

PART FOUR ~

Arien bolted back home at the fastest pace she could achieve, skirting through the crowds and out of the village square, and keeping up the pace until she reached her house. Only one thought plagued her mind: to find and help the dwarves destroy the enemy. She wanted to prove to Fili that all the practise had come in useful, and that she was a loyal friend. Or was it more? She didn't know completely why she was doing what she was, but there was no mistaking the desire in her heart. The desire to fight beside her best friend.

She slammed open the door and barged up the stairs. Her mother was already out, so she was in the house alone.

Bounding up to her room, she grabbed a leather pack, and started leaping about, collecting items she figured she'd need: a clean set of clothes, her weapons and tools, her savings and, after making a hasty trip to the kitchen, a light bundle of food and a water-filled flask. She hadn't a clue how long she's be gone, so before she left she hurriedly scribbled a note to her mother explaining everything. No doubt she'd be worried sick, but this was what Arien wanted to do; what she needed to do.

~

The wind rustled through the trees, sending leaves skittering across the forest floor and swirling about Arien's legs in a small whirlwind of foliage.

The sun cast it's bright rays down on the young girl, warming her face and making her eyes glint golden. Her sheath thumped against her leg as she increased her pace to a small jog. She had a rough idea of the route she was following and where she was headed. The army had set off the previous evening, meaning she still had a way to go if she was to catch up.

She carried on at a consistent pace for some time, until her legs started to get weary and fatigue dawned on her. She had been jogging through the forest all evening, and the sky was tinged with a dark shade of pink as the pale sun sank low in the horizon.

A somewhat unwelcoming silence settled on the forest; the constant chirping of tiny creatures instantly died down and the trees abruptly stopped rustling in the breeze. A keen wind blew on silently, biting at her bare face and sending goosebumps prickling her skin like thousands of needles. She pulled her thick cloak about her body, trying to keep out the icy gusts.

She almost felt a regret for coming out at all, but she pushed the horrifying thoughts out of her head and looked around for a place to settle down for the night. There was no turning back; she had to find her best friend.

An eerie darkness settled over the forest as the sun slipped out of sight and nightfall arrived.

Arien curled up in her blankets and soon fell asleep.

~

Arien woke with a start. Something was gently poking her cheek, rousing her from her dreams. She blinked several times, trying to clear her vision, and stretched her stiff muscles, before letting out an exclamation of surprise.

"Thoros?!"

The young dwarf was crouched beside her, staring at her with widened eyes. A leather pack, similar to Arien's, was slung across his shoulder.

The girl frowned at him in confusion, and then panic.

Thoros chuckled at the girl's state and rose from the ground. "Figured I'd find you here."

Arien shook her head, glancing about her. "What.... Thoros! What are you doing here?!"

Shafts of dappled sunlight fell on her though the entwined branches that formed an intricate arch above her.

He shrugged and let himself slip to the floor again. "You're mother sent me to bring you back," he said after a few moments. Arien rolled her eyes and set a determined expression on her face. Her lip quivered as she was about to protest, but Thoros stopped her.

"Wait," he commanded. "I'm not here to bring you back. I'm here to help you."