End of Arc 2: Meow~? (XVII)

Start from the beginning

Regnier didn't stop running until they reach the mountain ranges of the mirage. Regnier went to the tallest peak. Regnier shifted back to his human form, Sairi also shifted and stopped besides Regnier. He looked at him with a confused look. Why are they so high up in the mountains? All the prey are asleep already.

Regnier pointed into the sky, "Sairi, look."

Sairi glanced up to the night sky and he couldn't believe what he saw. A meteor shower. It was stunning sight to see, dazzling stars poured down like rain. They streaked across the midnight sky.

Regnier, "It only happens once in a millennium, I just heard about it from my old man a couple of weeks ago. Since it's a once in a lifetime kinda thing, I thought that you would like to see this."

Sairi's eyes were gentle and held deep tenderness as he looked at Regnier, "I do."

Regnier, "It's rumored that if you make a wish during a meteor shower, your wish will come true. Let's try it."

Sairi thought it was childish to do so, but it never hurt to try, "En."

They both closed their eyes, both wished for something they desired. After, they opened their eyes and gazed back up at the stars.

Regnier, "What did you wish for?"

Sairi answered straightforwardly, "To be with you forever."

Regnier chucked, "How silly, of course I'll be with you forever."

Sairi, "En."

Regnier suddenly placed a necklace around Sairi's neck. It was a beautiful silver necklace with circular pendant.  Sairi raised his eyebrows as Sairi opened the pendant and saw a painted portrait of him and Regnier together. Regnier held onto Sairi's hands, "Sairi, will you marry me?"

Sairi's eyes started to water, bent over and kissed Regnier on his lips. He mocked Regnier in a similar tone, "How silly, of course I will marry you."

Bao Bao ran away, cringing. TOO CHEESY! Ah, my poor eyes and ears can't take this!

---

Their wedding was held the following week after. It was the grandest wedding that anyone had ever had. Though there were some complaints that Regnier should find a mate who could bear him kids, Regnier shot them all down. He stated clearly, "I can choose whoever I want to be my mate, and I chose Sairi. If this displeases you, go find yourself a new king. I will be waiting."

Many of them panicked, Regnier had a natural talent as a king. How can they just pass on that, and who knew when the next king would arrive. They quickly shut their mouths and started kissing ass like there was no tomorrow.

---

Ten years later.

Sairi and Regnier had adopted one child, a leopard and tiger mix boy. They lived the first five years of their lives together happily, then Sairi started exhibiting symptoms of his body failing. Just like his predecessors, their body slowly stopped working and they died. Fate could be very cruel.

He had already outlived the average age of what a snow leopard should live up to. Sairi started losing his feelings in his limbs, first it started with his legs but as the years flew by, it crept up his body.

This didn't slow down Sairi, he lived his life the same as always. He did what he wanted to do and his mate helped him. After the tenth year, his instincts were telling him that his time was going to end soon. His body yearned to go back to his old home, where he was raised. Where he had grown up in. His body wanted to go back to be with his family.

Regnier knew that Sairi's time was limited and he spent as much time with Sairi as he could. Everyday he would shower him with love and try and create as many memories as he could.

One day, Sairi asked Regnier if he could take him back to the illustrious forest and Regnier agreed. Once they got to the edge of the forest, the had to proceed by walking. Regnier carried Sairi on his back as he had done so many times before.

Sairi would instruct Regnier on where to go, he was leading him back to his old house. Just as they were about to reach the area, Sairi felt extremely sleepy. Sairi faintly smiled, "Regnier, I love you."

Regnier smiled sheepishly, "I love you too."

They both said in unison, "I love you and will continue to love you forevermore."

Sairi chuckled at their kiddish act, "...Do you want to hear a song?"

Regnier eagerly replied, "Yes."

Sairi started to sing:

In the stars, in the snow, in memories

I'm looking for your footprints

Wishing for eternal peace

This place is in the middle of a dream

With infant wings, I run up the hill

When I stray from the path, I close my eyes

In the stars, in the snow, in the memories

I'm looking for your footprints

Wishing for eternal peace

This place is in the middle of a dream

At the end of the sky

Where everything will return someday

You await peace all by yourself

Leaving behind traces of light

With infant wings, I run up the hill

When I stray from the path, I close my eyes

In dreams, in love, in my heart

I'm looking for your footprints

Leaving behind eternal light

With unwavering wings

May you have eter-

(A/N: I don't own the song. It's called 'Raggs Requiem' by Noria.)

Sairi's voice got quieter and quieter as he sung. If you walked in the forest, you would hear the sounds of a soft but pleasing voice singing a wonderful lullaby.

Suddenly, the song stops.

Tears fell down Regnier's eyes. His heart ached as if being stabbed by millions of knives, it was aching. Aching for Sairi. He had felt the heartbeat of his mate get fainter and fainter, until it slowly ceased beating. His breath shallowed until he eventually took his last breath. Like sand slipping through his hands, Sairi was gone. He never got to see the snow fall this year.

Regnier took Sairi off of his back and cradled him in his arms, he continued to walk to where Sairi had pointed out to him. His steps felt extremely heavy and they were slow. He would hum the tune of the song Sairi had just sung but instead of the light hearted sound, it was much slower and you could hear the heartbreak with each note.

Once he got to the cave where Sairi had grew up in he slumped onto the ground. He pressed Sairi close to his chest as he rubbed his head into the grove of Sairi's shoulder, "Baby... we're here."

But there was no one else there to give Regnier a reply.

(A/N: Wahhh it ended! *blows my nose* Wuuuu~ Why do I keep doing this??? *slams my head on the desk*)