Chapter #8 Jaken & Mayumi (Pt.1)

Jaken's POV

"B-b-bu-but Lord Sesshomaru! How can this be!? I thought you sent this troublesome woman away!"

What is my Lord thinking!? Who is this woman who has my master acting out of character!? She must be some sort of demon disguised as a human that is fooling my Lord. How else can he change so much from one day to the next!?

"Master Jaken, it seems Miss Mayu will be staying with us. We should do something to make her feel welcome. Right Lord Sesshomaru?" (Rin)

My Lord did not say a word. He continued to walk seeming to have some sort of plan in mind. I rushed to follow him but the good for nothing human Mayumi got in the way. Was I being replaced by a woman!?

"Lord Sesshomaru I-!"

Just then the ground started to rumble. I searched my surroundings as my Lord readied his sword. I had faith in him so I stayed put knowing he would defeat the demon but I had no idea I was going to be the target. Out came a mole like demon who appeared to be blind. It flailed around I'm assuming in search of that woman. I just so happened to be in its path.

"Aaaaaaah!"

I was flung high into the air but managed to land on my feet.

"WHAT!?"

Lord Sesshomaru had forgotten me!? He was walking away! Is this demon not worth the fight? I shall defeat it for my Lord! Summoning fire I burnt the mole demon to a crisp and caught up to my Lord once more.

"Lord Sesshomaru...you have been silent with me this whole time. If I have upset you in anyway, please, I beg for your forgiveness."

My Lord paused before staring down at me. I wasn't sure where to look so I only put my head down.

"My mind is currently engrossed with many things. I am not upset with you, Jaken."

I cried tears of joy but I also felt worried for my master. He is always so level headed but as of late he seems very unsure. What shall I do?

"Lord Sesshomaru something's wrong...I feel strange."

Mayumi stated as she swayed a bit. Her eyes were misty and her cheek grew flush.

"Miss Mayu seems sick! What shall we do!?"(Rin)

My Lord placed his hand on Mayumi's forehead but quickly retracted it.

"She is on fire."

Then my Lord glared at me. Did he think this was my fault!?

"Lord Sesshomaru may I take a look at Miss Mayu?"

Rin checked Mayumi throughly until she came up with a conclusion.

"She must have ate some fire berries my Lord. They will continue to raise her temperature until she dies from the heatstroke. The cure for this is simple we just need to find ice berries. They grow in the mountains my Lord."

Lord Sesshomaru rushed into the mountains with no hesitation.

"My Lord has become a fool! Look how he eagerly springs into action at the thought of this human dying for their own silly behavior. I hope you're proud of yourself!"

Your POV

Jaken doesn't seem to like me much...I can't blame him. My presence has been nothing but a burden on everyone. Now I went and got myself sick.

"I'm sorry Master Jaken. I have only caused everyone trouble. I promise to be more careful."

"What you should promise is to disappear once my Lord brings you the cure! You're only holding him back with all this nonsense! My Lord is a busy man with important things to do. How can he get them done when now all he does is fight demons to keep you safe? You must have some sort of spell on my master! Release him you leech!"

I couldn't fight back my tears. It wasn't because I felt sorry for myself. I was just angry that Jaken was partially right.

"Master Jaken! How can you say such things!? What would Lord Sesshomaru think!? Miss Mayu is our Lords special guest! We should be taking care of her like we do Lord Sesshomaru. Have you forgotten what he has asked of you!?"

Jaken began to throw a tantrum.

"Aaargh! It's not fair! Why must I be so unlucky to have served a master with a soft spot for humans!? Curses!!! My Lord has become a lap dog! Woe is me!"

I laid in the shade on the grass trying to escape the heat I felt while Rin cooled me down with a wet cloth on my forehead.

"Don't listen to Master Jaken Miss Mayu. He just doesn't understand that being a human is hard work. We are a lot weaker than demons but because we desire to be near Lord Sesshomaru we must endure."

We shared a smile and I thanked her with what little strength I had left. The cicadas and the heat of the wind helped me drift off to sleep. It's been so long since I've been able to sleep so peacefully. But apart of me is scared that I'll wake up and return back to the life I'm so desperately trying to escape.

End of Chapter#8