Chapter Twenty-two: Loving a Lie

Charlotte was awakened by a frantic Carlos sprinkling cold water on her face

Charlotte was awakened by a frantic Carlos sprinkling cold water on her face. She would have thought she had been sleeping if not for the presence of the man hunched over her. The stairway was bright with lit light bulbs now, she noticed. 

Also, there were some more faces around her and Carlos, she saw now, the blur of her vision clearing. These people were all inhabitants of the building. Two of them, she identified, were from the group of women she had overheard talking among themselves downstairs earlier.

All cooed and gasped at her state, sympathies streamed from their expressions.

Aches broke through several limbs of her body as she struggled to sit up. She felt exceptionally dizzy and weak.

"I've a feeling, no, I'm bloody sure this is that ghost's doing." Charlotte heard someone saying.

Another said, "This girl's been already half-possessed, obviously the dark spirit harmed her, tried to kill her. Poor girl. She should get out of the fourth floor immediately. My God."

And then everything that led her to this moment—battered, bleeding, unconscious on the floor—it all came back, came back too quick. She clutched at her messy hair in frantic disbelief.

"Are you okay? Miss Hart?" Carlos had been continuously asking, his voice was raised with worry. Getting only silence and the dumbfounded expression from her, he clicked his fingers in front of her face.

She shook her head and forcibly focused her gaze on his face.

"I'm calling the ambulance. Mr. Dias' been already informed," He announced and lifted his phone.

But Charlotte stopped him before he could make the call. Because when she moved her limbs none seemed broken even though several places hurt like a bitch. There were some cuts and scrapes all over her body which she recalled had been bleeding before she had fainted, but they were now sealed with dried up blood. And she had fainted not due to any physical injury but more due to the gigantic shock she couldn't bear the weight of.

Her head was still a bit unclear for logical thinking and she couldn't tolerate any further people discussing the interesting incident of her tumbling down the stairs.

She just wanted to be left alone. She wanted to be left alone and think everything through. But she didn't even know what she was to think of last night—yes, last night; dawn was breaking through as Carlos helped her up the last flight of stairs to her floor. 

She swallowed heavily as she left the place where everything had changed. 

She paused in the corridor and glanced back over her shoulder. The top of the flight of stairs stared back at her with dark flavor. She recalled Alex standing there, she could recall the look on his face, the way he had let her go, and how he had held out his hand, only she could not hold him.