Chapter Seventeen: Falling Hard

"Do you know why Dias and Carlos ran out of the building carrying a priest between them?" Charlotte asked, coming out to her balcony. And just as her heart had been saying, Alex was right there, at the railing. It had turned a custom now.

She walked up the distance to stand beside him as he turned to face her.

"And they looked like someone had done a number on them," she said further. "They were running like a hellhound was after their asses." She frowned and let out a short, confused chuckle.

Alex shrugged. She took it as his reply that he didn't know. But then, why did he look like he was stifling a burst of massive laughter? His lips were pressed tightly, eyes narrowed but sparkling with what she expected mirth, and his jaw even ticked. His one cheek lifted this slight bit and that made his eye crinkle, making her suspicion stronger that he was dying to laugh.

"What?" she asked.

He shook his head. "Nothing."

He changed the topic neatly right after. She stayed skeptical for some time though but soon found herself falling to the flow. There was no other way. Alex had the power to grab at the strings of her mind and heart, all at once, and change the direction at his will. She didn't know if it was a good thing or not.

--

It was one of the most embarrassed Charlotte had ever felt. She had been jogging down the corridor towards her next lecture when her foot slipped. The next thing she knew, she was flying forwards. There were a couple of moments to think for her what was happening, and so instinctively, her hands raised before her to brace herself against the fall. The books in her grip released, they slipped to the floor with loud thuds, and she followed after them with a—"uff."

The physical pain was not much. It was just her knees which she guessed were scraped and bruised a little. The mortifying fact, however, was the boys of the basketball team who had completely witnessed her grand fall.

Hollers broke out immediately. The guys were high-fiving and toppling over each other in crazy, exaggerated laughter pointing her way.

She was thankful for the hair hiding her face, for her face was red with anger and embarrassment at those insensitive people's reactions.

These guys were indeed hot, and many girls salivated after them in college and beyond, and for this, they thought of themselves highest of all, always searching for a way to ridicule others. And Charlotte had at the moment served herself up on a silver platter. Of course, they wouldn't lose the chance.

While straightening herself to a sitting position, she felt like giving them an earful. But then she thought against it.

Being an admirer of peace, she didn't want to make herself an enemy to these arrogant guys out of all people. They were known to hold grudges.