Chapter Sixteen: The Exorcism

It made a light click when the key turned in the lock.

The door's hinge made a long squeak as hands opened it, the noise echoed in the silent and empty apartment.

Footsteps were silent as they proceeded in. People walked inside the dark living room one after another—Happy Dias, Carlos, and a priest. They walked over the dusty floor to stand in the middle of the living room. 

As Dias signaled, Carlos went over to the light switch and flicked it on.

The landlord and owner of the entire apartment building, Dias, looked around him at the furniture all of which were covered by white sheets so that they didn't get dusty or damaged because of no use, because of no human touch. Cobwebs hung in the corners of the room and his gaze brushed over them. With a handkerchief, he wiped the sweat off his forehead and between the creases of his neck.

He was stood at the place which had done him immeasurable financial loss.

"Are you sure it's going to work?" Carlos asked looking uncomfortable.

"No. I'm not." Dias glanced back at the security guard of his building. "But I still need to try. In the span of the last three years all my tenants from this floor had left, anyone new that would come wouldn't last more than a week, even a contract would never get them to stay. All because of that—" he halted, eyes fearfully searching around for someone before he said in a much lower volume, "because of that ghost! He had driven away a hell lot of my money and my peace. And now that I'm blessed with a new tenant—Ms. Hart, the sinister thing is working on driving her away too, in a creative way this time it seems! I cannot let it happen. That girl, after all, moreover gave me hope of more tenants." Dias let out a cautious sigh, his pupils moving left and right, as though hoping someone would jump out of the shadows any moment. "I've already strictly told the Davis family, especially their daughter Linda, to not say a thing to Ms. Hart. But I'm not putting it past that girl to open her stammering mouth and spill out things she shouldn't. It was good that I saw Linda talking to Ms. Hart that day and she seemed quite fond of her. So, Carlos, I so hope this works, I so hope this priest does his magic stuff and banish the bane of my existence."

While Carlos stayed quiet, the priest took some offense.

"You must have faith in the Lord, child," the priest said adjusting his glasses over his eyes.

Mr. Dias turned towards the man of faith and said with an oily smile, "Of course. Now please do your job and free us all from this evil, will you, father Gregory?"

Father Gregory didn't seem much delighted by Mr. Dias' assurance but he opened the prayer book in his hand anyway. He further lifted his cross before him, high in the air, aiming toward the emptiness opposite them. "In the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit—"