Chapter Fifteen: Nirvana

Never had Charlotte imagined that this was the place Alex liked the most in Asthel.

"It's the park," she said looking at the back of Alex's head as he walked ahead of her.

He nodded simply.

After coming out of their apartment building he'd ushered her to the same park they stared out at from her balcony, the same park she had went to the other day and loved every moment of it, except for when she was on her way back out.

Surprising her even further he led her towards the lake.

They didn't converse with one another the entire way. There was this oddly comforting ambiance surrounding them, and he was strangely looking around himself. It seemed as if he was taking everything of the outside world in, as if he couldn't believe he was where he was, as if he was hardly aware what he was doing. 

Walking past the bushes he stood before the lake.

She paused for a moment, a little away from him. 

Unlike the other day her attention was not on any of the natural beauties of the park or lakeside. Her eyes were trained on Alex as his gaze caressed on the world around him—from the water to the trees, from the fireflies to the ground beneath his feet, the stars above them and the moon between scraps of clouds. He was looking around as though he was at the center of something impossible.

Charlotte reveled in his dynamic expression.

She decided that, without any doubt, it was one of her life's best decisions to push Alex to come out with her.

They passed a long time in silence. Alex in a transfixed state and Charlotte's all senses focused on him.

Just like that other night when Charlotte had come here, the lakeside was lit by brilliant moonlight and it was the only light there.

The surface of water fluttered as air passed by caressing it and milky moonlight danced on the lightest ripples.

Alex looked like a marble stone statue next to her. His pale face with the most heartwarming expression stared out into the lake, moon kissing his skin and shining at tip of his nose. Only the hair on his head wavering because of the softly blowing air gave away that he was no statue, that he was not made of stone; and yet, for some reason, Charlotte could not help but feel that he did not quite look real.

His clothes were one with the night behind them creeping out of the bushes and trees. Charlotte crossed her arms beneath her breasts after glancing shortly behind at the ominous black, after that she didn't look that way again, just kept her eyes on where Alex's were.

"I used to come to this park whenever I got the time, multiple times a week. The trees, fresh wind, smell of the grass, constant sound of nature—leaves, wind, bugs and birds—this place used to sooth my mind and soul like no other. And this lake, I don't know how many hours I passed standing at its side, sitting under the tree with my guitar, throwing pebbles into the water, singing into the serenity when everything else in life felt too overwhelming."