Chapter Two : Mending Things

Charlotte woke up by the discomfort of unhindered sunlight and cold wind. She tsked in annoyance, her sleep clad, sensitive eyes fluttering.

It was not hard to figure out the gateway of the natural wake-up call, because the first thing she noticed opening eyes was the wide open balcony door.

But how could that be possible?

She thought she closed the door last night after putting a stop to her new neighbor's musical torture. Confused, she scrunched her brows, sitting up slowly.

Had she forgotten to lock the door last night? She might have. And then perhaps wind had shoved it open completely.

That must be it. She decided.

Because an unanimated door cannot just unlock itself. And Charlotte didn't quite believe in magic and the supernatural. Bogus stuff like that were only good in the pages of fantasy novels.

Checking the time on her phone, she discovered that she was up even before the alarm had rung. That made her smile happily as any noise disrupting at any point of her sleeping time irritated her to no end.

One would think that doing a psychology major would make her an emotionally calm and collected person. But the truth was that, she was as normal as anyone else. She was irked by certain things, had a temper and lost cool often.

Just like doctors are not above getting ill themselves, psychiatrists are not above their own behavioral dispositions.

Maybe she would be able to toughen up her edges, at least a bit by the end of her degree course. She hoped that against all odds.

Rubbing the heels of palms to her eyes, she yawned and padded out to the balcony.

It was a very beautiful morning, and the sight before her was refreshing with the remarkable amount of green of the park across the street. In the distance she caught the shimmering of lake water as sunlight spread over it.

Simply beautiful.

Charlotte made a mental note of going out on a walk at the park someday soon. It seemed so alluring from here.

Standing by the railing, she sighed in content.

It was not long after that her eyes, on their own accord, went towards the balcony next to her's.

It was empty now. And in clear daylight she found that it was quite dusty, looking severely unkempt. 

Seemed like the Leonard Cohen wannabe wasn't much into cleaning.

She made a wild guess that he was a bachelor. Because typically, a woman's involvement in a household would demand some sort of tidiness.