Chapter Twelve : Not Alone

College next day was eventful with Sammy's still slightly pissed mood and Andy's continuously teasing the guy taking Nova's name. Tina almost fainted when Ian Flinn was walking behind the girls down the wing to the second building. At first, none of them noticed the Professor, but when they finally did, he politely smiled back and then hurriedly walked past and ahead. It was enough for Tina's peculiar heart to give a drum roll.

Later Sammy bunked their second gathering time of the day and went away, saying he had some important business. Everyone could guess it was perhaps that girl, Nova. The unlikely pair with odd age and mindset differences were being reported to be seen in various infamous dating spots of Asthel by the gossip-monger cheerleaders and Sammy's past basketball player buddies.

Everyone on the campus was aware that because of an injury of the leg which left some permanent, not highly noticeable, but sensitive enough, damages, Sammy had to be dropped out from the basketball team. In a year, he kind of strayed off from his old hunky buddies and joined a new, smaller, and quieter circle of friends.

Charlotte came back home late to find a pleasant surprise waiting for her.

Because of a new batch of books' arrival in the library, Charlotte had to stay back for an additional half an hour, doing some extra work sorting them out. Then her car decided not to start easily, and she had to sit a good fifteen minutes twisting the key relentlessly and praying and begging in the parking until finally the engine showed her some mercy and gurgled up to life.

She saw Linda from afar while walking toward the elevator inside her building, but the girl quickly looked away from her and walked away at escalating speed. Charlotte wanted to call her and talk anyway, but thinking better, she stopped herself.

Alex wasn't waiting for her at the end of the corridor, neither she heard a sound announcing his presence from his apartment. While opening her own door, she thought with an eye roll—when had he ever made a sound from his home anyway! He was such a mysterious human being, and she was intrigued by those every single mystery of his.

And here he was with her even when he physically was not.

She shook her head, smiling to herself.

Everything in her home was just the same as she had seen them before leaving. This thing, however, changed the moment she walked into her bedroom and glanced around, only to halt her gaze dead onto her mattress.

There was something on there—a jumbo pile of worn-out-looking books.

She slowly walked to it, not sure what to feel. It meant someone was in the room earlier, or was still perhaps there, watching her from their hiding place. Yet the cold was familiar in the room, and the slightly ajar balcony door gave her some comfort. 

There was an unspoken sense of familiarity.

Deep within her, she already knew who it might be. Because hadn't he assured her something severe just last night? She had slept with the words tattooed on her heart, feeling mistiness underneath her eyelids.