Date Night

Mal and Jay got to the Steak House in town, a family owned business, that most everyone knew throughout Colorado. Tonight wasn't a particularly busy night, as it was a Saturday night. Mrs. Wood, a waitress, smiled when she saw Jay and Mal walk through the restaurant doors. "Good evening Jayden, Malonia." She greeted them. "Good evening Mrs. Wood." Mal said smiling at the waitress. "The Usual Spot?" She asked and Mal and Jay nodded. Mrs. Wood led the way for Mal and Jay as they followed her back to a corner booth, that was hidden out of sight from the doorway. One of the reasons why it was Mal and Jay's favorite spot, was because that was where they had celebrated multiple occasions there, in that exact booth.

Everyone working at the restaurant knew to never seat anyone in that booth, because Mal and Jay brought such good business to their restaurant. When arriving in town, Mal and Jay had made the restaurant famous, and given them funds to keep operating. When Mal and Jay were seated at the booth, Mrs. Wood pulled out her paper. "The usual for tonight?" She asked and they said yes. She brought back their drinks, and placed their order with the cook. Minutes later, Mrs. Wood came back and brought them new drinks and a plate of Potato Skins as appetizers. Halfway through the wait, a new waiter came through, with Carlos and Evie following him. They sat in the booth right across from them, and Jay reached over to Mal, and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. During their dinner wait, Carlos and Evie watched Mal and Jay closely, and silenced themselves when they heard Mal and Jay start talking.

"Do you think it worked?" Mal had asked and Jay shrugged. "Only way to find out when we get home." Jay told her lacing his hand with hers. Mal smiled and they started talking about Elena and Jackson. "Jackie told my dad today and he's really happy. Although, he seemed pretty disappointed that he was only getting grandchildren from one of his children." Mal said sadly. "Don't beat yourself up over it. We've just been so busy with each other and the ranch that we haven't had time until now." Jay told her. Mal nodded, and they talked about the wedding. "I'm excited I get to be Maid of Honor." Mal gushed and Jay smiled at his wife. "I get to be the Best Man, so there." He said challenging her. Mal laughed and their food came out a few minutes later. "Enjoy you two." Mrs. Wood said smiling. "I'm sure we will. Thank you." Mal said smiling at the waitress.

Mal and Jay started eating their steak and talking about their plans for further on tonight. They finished their food, and left a tip before getting up and leaving. Mal took Jay's hand as they walked out of the restaurant, and got into their truck. Evie and Carlos got up and followed them slowly, but quick enough to not lose sight of them. They followed them to the Botanical Gardens, and stayed behind them as they walked hand in hand down the long paths of gardens and flowers galore. They stopped at the gazebo, as the fireworks were going on. When they got back home, they sat outside on the patio watching the round going on from a different town their patio was faced to. Mal curled into a ball, and leaned into Jay. Jay wrapped his arms around her, and she tucked her head into his shoulder.

When the fireworks were over, Mal and Jay went back inside, and fell asleep together on the couch. The next morning, they got up, and Jay started breakfast while Mal went upstairs to take a shower. She took a pregnancy test, and she waited for Jay to come upstairs. He sat on the edge of the counter, and when the wait was up, she looked at it and she smiled. She showed Jay and he hugged her. "We're going to be parents." He whispered to her, and she smiled. She was almost crying as she ran down the hall to Elena's room. Elena was older than Mal by 3 years, and Jackson 5, so she jumped on their bed, and Jay laughed as she get. When they looked at her, angry for waking them up, it was made up by Mal showing them the results. Elena shot up and hugged her best friend. Jackson's eyes stayed widened as he didn't believe his baby sister was pregnant.

"M, this is so exciting!" Elena called as she let Mal go. "I know! I can't believe it!" Mal squealed and Jay sat on the edge of the bed next to Jackson. "Well, my baby sister is pregnant, I'm getting married, and having a kid in the same year. My life needs to slow down!" Jackson exclaimed and Mal laughed as she hugged her older brother. Jackson hugged his little sister, and then they left to start the day. Mal couldn't stop smiling, even when Evie and Carlos passed her vision. They tried to ruin her anniversary with Jay, but she didn't stop smiling. Carlos tried to ask her out, but she wouldn't stop smiling as she answered no.

Two months later, Mal and Elena were feeding the horses in their stalls, when Mal got shooting pains in her back. They got done feeding the horses on one side of the barn, when Mal went to the bathroom. She came back to Elena with her face filled with worry. "E, I'm bleeding." She said panicking. Elena knew what she was talking about, and the two went to the hospital right away. At the hospital, Mal was taken to a room, to get tested.

Jay, Jonathan, and Jackson just got back from picking up more lumber for rebuilding two more pastures of fence, when they noticed the ranch was silent. Normally the horses would be neighing very loud as they were getting fed, or whenever the girls were around them. The three men noticed this, and they went into the barn to look for the girls. "Half of the horses are fed, and half aren't. It's like they stopped and disappeared." Jay said picking up a full bucket of horse feed and putting it into a horses trough. Jackson's phone rang and it Elena. "It's Elena." He said to the two others, and they crowded around Jackson to hear. Jackson listened to everything, and he wore a somber mood on his face. He took a deep breath in before turning to his dad and brother in law. "There's some bad news awaiting us at the hospital." He said. "What happened?" Jay asked. "Elena said that she and M are at the hospital. She didn't say what for." Jackson said. "Let's go." Jonathan said and the three of them got back in their truck and took off for the hospital.

When they got into the hospital, Elena was there waiting for them. "Where's Malonia?" Jay asked. He suddenly got all worried, and Elena put her hand on Jay's. "She's not hurt. But something's happening to her. We were feeding the horses, when she got back pains. She told me about it, and after she came back from the bathroom a few minutes later, she told me she was bleeding, and we came to the hospital." Elena explained. "What does that have to do with coming to the hospital?" Jackson asked. "I thought I raised a smarter kid than that." Jonathan said sighing. "She was bleeding because-" He didn't get a chance to finish his sentence, as the nurse summoned them back. Mal was laying on a hospital bed, and Elena gripped Jackson's hand on the way in. They went over to Mal, and she almost burst out crying at seeing Jay and her father.

Elena went to her side, and she held Mal's hand, as she said the worst thing that no one wanted to hear. "I lost the baby."