To Love the Monster. . .

Syncear

Within a matter of scrambling seconds after the bang, all those who cramped the room disappeared frantically in groups. All of Gavin's knuckleheads scattering like roaches once the lights switched on, exposing their hiding place.

These moments never appeared real. Doing anything but paperwork behind my desk or answering calls nowadays could feel like it never even happened. Like I dreamt it all.

Clinging onto a man who tried to break me as if it would rupture my heart if I didn't, made me question my sanity on so many levels. What I had to do to get here made it so worth it. What we both went through so far gone for the moment.

"I thought you wanted me dead." Boston grasped me like he never had before, even when reminiscing about a moment gone from time but never memory.

Anyone in their right mind could sense what this hug represented. Some of his pleaded apology for what he'd done and a huge amount of appreciation for not putting one right between the eyes. Even if once upon a time, I thought about it. I dreamt about it.

How messy that would've been on my resume.

Ha.

"I'm not entirely sure what I want anymore."

A little bit of freedom here and a whole lot of mystery there, maybe? Swarming around what I could potentially see myself settling for and the things that would kill me to think about regardless of how it went.

Boston's gripped loosened around me drastically, signifying the end of our embrace. For a moment I hesitated to let him go. After everything we just went through, I deserved an extra few minutes of serenity to calm my mind.

I met his gaze up close and the complete picture was painted. The exhausted grogginess behind bloodshot eyes; a relieved smile behind bloodied lips.

This sight was the worst. I wished to never see him like that again.

"How the hell did I end up here?" Not quite a question as much as it was a statement or shocking realization. To picture yourself mere inches from death's hands and come out strolling put the meaning of survival to a whole new level.

"Well, for starters, you were shot." I reminded, glazing down at the exact spot it happened with regretful and nurturing eyes. He sighed.

"Tell me about it."

Not sure how he could be so nonchalant about it, I could only imagine how I would react. I'm so glad I wasn't the one who took the bullet. .

Silenced filtered out as slow clapping entered the partially empty room. Not even having to look up, Ida's presence poisoned the warm fuzzy feeling we'd created.

"And I thought I was the only badass here." The 'as if' look ran each face in the room. She failed to notice. "What a way to prove me wrong, princess."

Acting like I wanted to have a response to that served on a different platter. Just stealing a look of that sinister smirk all over that face of pure evil and manipulation.

She still disgusts me.

"I'm glad you put him down before I did, princess. But, too bad I couldn't have done it my way."

See what I mean?

Standing to my feet, I matched her level even if she was a few inches shorter than me. I shared no smile, nor frown. No emotion.

"Why am I not surprised you wanted him dead, too." Not a question. Only made to make her look more like the evil witch everyone said she was.

"Because you thought we were a team." Not speaking directly to me, she stared down on Gavin's lifeless body sprawled on the ground, slightly grinning. Probably calculating the perimeter of the blood surrounding his head as if it was some kind of game for her.