Chapter Thirty-Three: The Plan

I walked into a huge shopping centre, unaware of what suburb I was in. I walked straight in and couldn’t help but notice people’s stares. I kept my head down and I found a map. My watch said it was almost eleven o’clock, and this particular centre had an upstairs cinema. I took the escalator and people were staring or whispering behind their hands as they walked past and I felt like an animal in a zoo.

“A ticket to see Frozen please and a small popcorn and coke.” I asked the girl.

“Hey, are you Carrie Griffith?” She asked as I looked up. She looked about fourteen and was grinning at me like I was her saviour.

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“Can I please have an autograph?”

“Sorry, I don’t really like giving autographs. I might see you later.” I gave an awkward smile and walked in the direction of the cinemas. The light for cinema number six was glowing on the big board in the waiting area for the movies, so I showed the ticket to the ticket attendant who smiled at me before he let me past.

The movie was amazing. I walked out feeling like a little kid again and I decided Olaf was my soul animal. It was then about twenty to one so I quickly got a to-go coffee from a little café near the taxi rank exit and caught a cab to the hospital.

“Do you know where I could find Giovanna Davenport? She came in yesterday.” I asked a nurse.

“Yes. Room 286. Better hurry, she’ll be being released soon.” I nodded at the nurse and hurried to find room 286 which was on the second floor, near the back of the building.

“Hi.” I said as I walked in. Giovanna immediately looked up and looked sideways at me.

“What are you doing here?” She didn’t say it rudely, just curiously.

“I came to see if you were ok?” I said, unsure of whether she was happy with my appearance.

“Oh. Yeah, well I’m still a bit sore but they said I should be fine.” I nodded in response.

“Sorry Michael punched you.”

“I’m sorry I punched you. I don’t even know why I did it. I guess you were just there.” She sighed. “Hey are you and Michael a thing?”

“What?”

“Are you fucking the guitarist with the weird hair?” She said flatly.

“No.” I said strongly.

“You guys should get together. You’d be cute.”

“Why does everyone say that?”

“Because it’s true. And I don’t know if you see it, but I see the way he looks at you, and you look at him. I don’t know what you think you feel but you two have such a connection, it’s uncanny.”

“Hmmm. He’s a really good friend.”

“No honey, not good friend, boyfriend.”

“What?”

“Ask the boy out for Christ’s sake. Even if you don’t like him now, you can’t help but fall in love with the kid. And plus, your soul mate should be your best friend.” She shrugged, smiling. Her eyes crinkled a bit when she smiled, but she looked worn.

“I’ll think about it. But I don’t want to ruin what we have. What if he doesn’t like me back?”

“Oh he does honey. He does.”

“How can I be sure?”

“Oh so you do like him?” Why the hell was I sharing this with Giovanna Davenport, queen bitch?