🔥Thirty-Four🔥

Song: Lifeline- Kenny Holland 

I ran for what seemed like hours. All the pain and heartache made every second seem like it lasted forever, and when time felt so much longer, the pain was even worse than what it really was.

Running to the only place I could think of, I ended up at our spot. Our little tree by the river where I fell in love with him, and where we watched the sunrise every morning. Everything was silent when I reached the river, just like my mind. There was nothing in my mind besides the flashback of his eyes, and his words. A single tear escaped my eye as I grabbed our blanket, laying it on the bank of the river. I sat down, wrapped my arms around my knees, and cried my heart out. It was the only thing that seemed reasonable at the moment.

When all the tears and sobs were out of me, all I could do was stare blankly at the river. It flowed silently, illuminated by the moon, and the water danced with sparkles as the moon shined brightly on it. I was reminded of the night Theo took me on our first date, and for a second, I swore I could see the two of us dancing beside the picnic he planned. I could see the way my hand rested on his shoulder and his on my waist, while our other hands were intertwined. That day still gave me chills, especially when I thought about the fact he swore I was the only girl he would dance with. Words couldn't describe how I felt then, but as I thought about it again, I wondered if he had done that with every girl. I wondered if those were the same words he used with every girl, and then the thought finally settled into my mind that I was nothing more than just another girl.

The more I thought about those things-- Theo not loving me, our first date, the fact he was still in love with Willow, and she's still out there, the more I cried. I cried, and cried, and then the clouds decided to join me as rain poured from the sky. I placed our blanket back in the tree and stood in the rain, crying along with the clouds. Never could I remember a time when I had felt so alone than in that moment. It felt as if everyone else had vanished, and there was only me left and I had to fend for myself, but in a lonely world, what point would there be to stay alive?

Thunder rumbled across the sky as if the angels were bowling, and strikes of lightning lit up the night. One bolt of lightning hit the tree beside me, and it came crashing down, causing the whole ground to shake. A loud boom rattle through the air as another tree fell, and I could feel was a sense of irony. I was the tree-- so strong and bold, yet so easy to break, so easy to fall down, and Theo was the lightning bolt-- the one thing containing all the capability to destroy me with one strike.

I stood in the middle of the storm, praying something would come and take me far away, whether it be the lightning bolt that would kill me, or the hero to save me-- just as long as someone put me out of the misery heartbreak always brought. I was completely dazed as I stood, completely drenched, in our spot, and my whole mind was numb, as well as my feelings inside. For one split-second, I felt nothing.

And then my phone rang.

I jumped slightly before pulling it out of my pocket. A picture of Hazel popped up, and I answered the phone.

"Hazel?"

"Melody! Where are you!?" She questioned, panic laced through her voice, and I sighed.

"Down by the river. Why?"

"You need to get to the house now. It's about Theo." She panicked, and my heart dropped in my chest. What was wrong with him? Was he hurt? Did he run away? Was he angry with me for running away? I didn't know, but I was scared to learn what I was going to see when I reached the house.

I sighed. "Okay. I'll be home in five."

I hung up the phone and zipped through the woods, all the way to the fence that led to the front door of the house. Taking a deep breath, I zoomed in and found Hazel. She was in the sitting room, pacing back and forth. When she saw me, she let out a breath of relief and hugged me tightly.