Chapter 11

“Where are we!” I jump up and down throwing a little kid tantrum when we get out of the car.

“Close your eyes,” Dan replies, guiding my hands over my eyes.

“Don’t you dare try any funny business! I’m trusting you with my life!” I laugh at him.

“Of course not! Okay, no peeking!”

I do as I’m told, and close my eyes, but not before circling on the spot 360 degrees to try work out where we are.

Dan takes my hand and guides me.

I feel a gust of warm air as soon as I step off the slushy snow and onto a wooden floor a minute or so later.

“Alright, open your eyes now Mia”

I open my eyes, to find that we’re standing on a theatre stage. Did Dan go through all this effort to hire out a whole theatre just for me?

I look around- strings of lights hang from the ceiling above us, illuminating the room.

Under the lights, stand a little round table, decorated with a white tablecloth.

I’m truly amazed at Dan’s effort.

I turn to him, to meet his perfect brown eyes that seem to scream with eagerness for a reaction out of me.

Still in shock, I choke out a genuine “Wow, this is truly amazing Dan.”

“I’m glad you like it Mia,” he says, showing his perfect smile.

We take a seat at the petite round table. I burst out laughing as Dan pulls out a paper bag of McDonalds.

 “I mean, if it wasn’t for McDonald’s chicken nuggets and Micky’s catching fail that day, we wouldn’t be here now, would we?” He says, defending his case.

“Hey, I didn’t say there was anything wrong with McDonalds on a date! It can be our little thing,” I say, winking at him, knowing about his love for this fast food chain.

We eat, while we joke around with each other.

I sip my coke, waiting for Dan to finish eating. Well this is awkward, did I actually just chug down all my food? Graceful Mia…you’re on a date. I mentally slap myself.

“Will you be my girlfriend Mia?”

I gulp down my mouthful of coke, feeling my heart skip a beat. Did Dan really just say that? I mean, I’ve been longing for this; I do like Dan a lot.

Instead of saying ‘yes’ straight away, I look at him, biting my lower lip.

He gets up from his seat, and walks behind me, placing his chin on my shoulder, arms around me.

“Please! I like you a lot Mia” He says with puppy dog eyes like a little kid asking their parents to buy them something.

A smile rips across my face, how adorable can Dan get!

I turn around, giving him a small peck on the lips, leaving him stunned.

“Yes!” I reply finally.

I watch a smile creep across his face- definitely the biggest smile of his I’ve ever seen!

I shoot up from my seat, giving him a big tight hug.

“I’m so glad you said yes!” Dan says, spinning me around.

“Come here, I wanna show you something,” he says, letting me back on my feet.

I follow him to a grand piano on the side of the stage.

He sits down on the piano stool, and signals for me to sit down beside him.

He starts playing the piano- there is NOTHING this boy can’t do. I watch his hands move freely over the keys, and from being so in awe from Dan’s perfect voice, I only catch little snippets of the lyrics he’s singing…

‘You were the one for me girl, when you first stepped into my world,’

I still can’t digest the fact that Dan is mine…

‘You give me butterflies, when I look in your eyes,’

I feel the butterflies in my stomach return.

‘There’s nothing I don’t like, like, like about you; you take me to a place I never knew. It’s everything I like, like, like about you; coz you’re my pretty girl’ He sings the chorus, smiling and looking at me. How does he do that; playing without looking at the keys!

“Ahh! Dan! You’re absolutely amazing!” I exclaim like a fangirl when he finishes.

“Had a writing session yesterday night and wrote this song about you. I like you a lot Mia, don’t ever leave me?” he says to me.

I feel my cheeks turn red- not only was he singing the song TO me, it was about me too.

“I adore you Dan, you know that! And yes, I promise I’ll never leave you.” I reply smiling.

He begins to talk, but I stop him with a kiss. He isn’t reluctant.

He cups my face in his hands, placing his lips on mine, pulling me in closer to him.

I feel my heart pound faster as we kiss passionately. I feel his hand slowly move down my back: bringing shivers down my spine.

He breaks out from the kiss, leaving me wanting more- us both almost breathless. He grins widely, looking devious.

“As I was saying, until you so rudely interrupted me-”

“Hey! You were so asking for that by playing that song!” I interrupt him again.

“I think I’ll play you more songs from now on,” he replies with a wink.

I roll my eyes at him playfully. What a flirt!

I change the subject purposefully: “Your piano skills are amazing. Care to give me some of that talent?” I nudge him in the arm.

At that, he takes my hands, placing them on top of his, and then placing our hands on top of the piano keys.

He starts playing a melody I recognise quickly: ‘Just the way you are’.

My mind flicks to that afternoon when I had rejected him in the studio, when I liked him but didn’t know whether he liked me back. Now we’re here hand in hand as boyfriend and girlfriend.

He catches me in my little flashback, in turn, smiling back at me with reassurance.

We sit like that for the whole song, my hands on top of his while he played, singing occasionally.

We finish the song- well…him; my hands were just on his… He wraps his arms around me, holding me like a small child.

We stare at each other for a while, until I finally break the silence:

“That was fun, thanks for the lesson Mr Ferrari-Lane,” I say.

A grin wipes across his face.

“You’re a really good student,” he replies with a chuckle.

I burrow my head into the crook of his neck, to hide my now flushed cheeks.

“I love you Dan,” I murmur, making sure he could hear.

“Love you too Mia,” he whispers back, stroking the back of my head gently, while I rested on his shoulder.

I silently pray to myself for this moment to never end.

“Thanks for the best day ever,” I say more confidently now.

And with that, he tilts my head up, pressing his lips on mine once again.