He laughs before he answers, "Oh, don't worry it is."

Soon enough Nik comes rushing out of the castle doors with papers in hand. He makes his way over to me and the horses and hands me an ivory-colored paper covered in Bavian writing. I hold it up to where my eyes can read it and scan through it instantly.

The paper is supposed to grant me passage through the servants quarters. It has my name in cursive writing -forever binding the paper to me- and it's stamped and signed to signify its authenticity in black ink. For most servants, a document like this might be the most expensive and important thing they own.

I can't say I'm not impressed.

How could two merchant boys get me a free ticket behind castle walls? Yes, they had told me they had connections but I had I really believed them? Not even for a moment. What I had done instead was have faith the two of them were sneaky enough to get me past and guards and I'd have to hope my I'd think of something to carry me through the rest.

Instead, the two of them managed to get me inside Bavia's castle with almost no questions asked from anyone.

Naturally, "Thank you," is all I can bring myself to say. Deep down, all I could think about is how crushed they'd be if they found out they lead a siren into the home of their king. I also couldn't stop thinking about how much harm I might cause everyone. The bodies I might have to bury, the lies I might have to tell, and the people I might have to betrayal all for the sake of my survival.

The horse starts to rile up again but Nik quickly calms it down. Once the animal is steady, he again extends his hand to help me down. Taking his hand willingly, I repeat the steps that put me up here. Through all this, I can't help but stare at him.

If any of the people in this place knew what I am they'd kill me in a heartbeat. Meanwhile, I can't say I'd do the same.

With Galien eager to get rid of me, Nik quickly tells me where I need to go and points me in the right direction. I nod and thank the two of them for everything before setting off to find the servants entrance.

For the servants, they don't enter the castle through the grand doors. That entrance is reserved for royalty and members of the court who are seen as important enough to pass through.

Instead, the servants enter their place of work though a much smaller wooden door on the side of the castle. Accessible through the courtyard, but very discrete from the people's main attraction.

The small side door is attended by a line of lower-class people looking to check in for the day. Some dress I'm ready-made castle uniforms while others -like myself- hold ivory-colored papers like my own. To my relief, it's not just my first day.

At the very end of this line of people is a male servant. He sorts through the people, telling each one whether they're allowed to pass or not. While some he just lets straight in, probably recognizing the faces of his colleagues.

This whole event is similar to what I witnessed at the gate. Except the acceptance rate seems to be lower and more getting in seems less likely to happen. Besides seeing him brush off people like dust, I step in line with the people before me.

Unlike most people, my letter of acceptance is stamped and signed officially. Thankfully, this kind of validation is exactly what he had been looking for and he lets me in without trouble.

I enter a long hall before I find my way back to other people. The first place I enter is a kitchen full of food and hustling people dressed in uniforms that all match in color. While their outfits seem to resemble each other's with colors of dark blues, dark reds, and browns, mine is baggy and consists of strictly natural colors. I stick out like a sore thumb.