Chapter 17: Going Back to the Norm

When I arrived at home, Dad was there standing in the living room, trying to calm my baby brother.

"Hey dad," I said.

He turned towards me and smiled.

"How was your day?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes again and said, "It was going fine until you ruined it."

Dad's face suddenly changed into a hurt expression. I immediately regretted what I said.

"Sorry, it's just that I had a great time," I said.

Tyler was still crying and wailing in his arms.

"Hey, what's wrong buddy?" I asked, rubbing his back.

"Mom scolded him for crying too loud today, after she got home," said Dad.

"What? Really?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said.

"Aww, poor Tyler," I said, looking at my baby brother.

Dad shifted him to his other arm.

"It's okay, buddy. Mommy's just tired," I said, stepping behind my father's back to see my brother's face.

I caressed his head and gave him a kiss.

He mewed and continued to cry.

I sighed and said, "There's nothing that you and I could do for him Dad, unless Mom comes here and apologize to him, herself."

I left both of them downstairs after that. I went to my room and crashed on my bed. I suddenly felt so tired, even though it was only 8:00. I changed into my pajamas and brushed my teeth. Then, I lied down on the bed and closed my eyes.

I woke up again, but this time it was already almost 10:00. Dad had come into the room with Tyler still in his arms, crying. I saw that the little kids were already asleep, since they had to go to school in the morning. I yawned and rested my head back onto my pillow.

Dad whispered, "Emily, can you let your baby brother sleep with you?"

I turned my head to see him, looking as tired as I was. He had spent the whole day, by himself, taking care of the youngest members of our family.

"Where's Mom? Why don't you give him to her?" I asked.

"She told everyone not to bother her. She wanted to rest," he said.

I sat down on my bed and reached my arms out for Tyler. Dad gave him to me. Tyler looked at me and grabbed my hand. I laid him in my arms so that he could fall asleep faster.

"Alright, I got him," I said.

"Thanks Em," Dad said, kissing me on the head.

He turned off the main lights of our bedroom and walked out into the hallway.

"You've gotta stop crying, little guy, or you're gonna wake everybody up," I said, tiredly.

I put him beside me so that I could lie down again. I reached my right arm towards my brother's head and massaged him gently. My eyes couldn't take it anymore, and they were closing by themselves. I was almost fully asleep, but then Tyler started to bawl. I opened my eyes wide and realized that I had accidentally dropped my arm on top of him.

"Hey, I'm so sorry Tyler. I'm just so sleepy," I said, "Tomorrow I have to go to school again."

I pulled him closer to me and shushed him. When he got quiet, I turned off my bedside lamp and put my lips on his soft head.