Chapter 6: Baby Fever

The next day was a terribly sunny day. It was the hottest of the hottest day of the summer. Every other day was already hot, but this day was like literally living inside a furnace. I had to practically wear a tank top that day. Even the babies were just clad in their diapers, with no shirts on.

Dad had taken Mom downstairs and put her on a wheelchair.

"Ugh! It's so hot!" exclaimed Jason.

We were all sitting in the living room, figuring out what to do in this hot, humid heat.

Tyler was on the floor crying. I was fanning myself with a piece of paper.

The younger kids were eating some popsicles.

"Why don't I buy you kids some ice cream," said Dad.

"Yay!!!" shouted the younger kids.

So Dad went out to buy us some ice cream for us.

Tyler was still crying on the carpet, so I headed towards him and picked him up.

"I know, baby. It's very hot, but we can't do anything about it," I explained.

I sat on the floor, put him on my lap, and started fanning him.

Haley started walking towards me.

"Poo!" she said.

"Poo? Do you need to go to the potty?" I asked.

"Nooo...poo!" she exclaimed.

"What are you talking about Haley?" I asked.

"Poo!!!" she pointed to the backyard, at the swimming pool.

"Ohhh...you want to go to the pool?" I said.

"Yezzz!" she said.

"Great idea, Haley. We should all go swimming on this hot day," I stated.

The younger kids started going upstairs to change into their swimming suits.

"Take the babies with you," said Mom.

"Where's Callie?" I asked.

"She's upstairs sleeping," she said.

"She's still sleeping?" I asked.

"Yeah," said Mom.

I went upstairs and took Haley and Tyler with me.

"Nah, I don't feel like swimming," said Tom.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Just don't feel like it. But I will go outside to watch you guys. And plus Mom maybe needs me while Dad's gone," he said.

"Well, okay," I said.

I went to my room and changed my clothes and got the babies ready to swim.

I checked on Callie and saw her still sleeping, but her face was scrunched up like she was having a bad dream.

She was sleeping on her stomach, so I rubbed her back and hushed her to try and calm her down.

Once her face relaxed, I went downstairs with the two other babies plus the other kids. We all went to the backyard.

The younger kids directly jumped in the pool.

"Whoo! This pool is so cold!" shouted Sarah.

I led the babies towards the baby pool. I went inside with them. They sat down in the pool and Haley started splashing water around her. I smiled at her and splashed her back.