Chapter 8: Surgery Time

The next day, I woke up to the sound of my baby brother crying.

"Hey, hey. Why're you crying, Tyler?" I asked, turning my body to take a look at him.

I saw him sucking on his thumb. I caressed his head and gently ruffled his thin, blond hair.

I gave him a morning kiss.

"You did a good job for not waking me up in the middle of night. You didn't cry at all last night," I said, rubbing his stomach.

I lifted him up and put him on my right hip. The younger kids were still sleeping. I took Tyler downstairs and made him a bottle. While I was making the bottle, I heard some sleepy footsteps shuffling down the stairs.

It was Jason. He had woken up early. His eyes still looked sleepy.

"Mornin' Jason," I said.

He went over to us in the kitchen and rubbed his sleepy eyes awake.

"Mornin' Em," he said.

He went to the fridge to get some orange juice. I went towards him and planted a kiss on top of his head.

He took a glass and poured some orange juice on the counter. Tyler was still in his highchair, whining for a bottle of milk.

"When's Mom and Dad comin' home?" asked Jason.

"I don't know," I said, "Cal's havin' surgery today."

When I told Jason that, I saw his face turn pale and worried for his baby sister.

"She's gonna be okay," I said, "and don't think about it too much. I know it's scary but just pray that she'll get through all of this, okay."

Jason went over to sit with Tyler on the table.

"Hey buddy," he said, patting Tyler's head.

Tyler reached his arms out at him. Jason went towards him and gave him a hug. The sight touched my heart. I finished making Tyler his bottle and asked Jason if he could feed him, while I cooked some pancakes for our own breakfasts.

Later, Hannah and the little kids came clambering down the stairs.

"Morning guys," I said.

"Morning!!!" said the little kids.

"How was your guys' sleep?" I asked.

"I had a long deep sleep. With no dreams included," said Hannah.

"What about you two?" I asked, directing the questions at the little kids.

"Uhm, oh! I dreamt about rainbows, ponies, and princesses!" said Sarah, excitedly.

"I dreamt about robots and race cars. Vroom, vroom!!!" said Peter.

I laughed at him and ruffled his hair.

I gave the three kids some pancakes and then I ate mine.

A couple minutes later, Tom came down with Haley in his arms.

"Hi, Haley!" I said.

Her hair was messed up and some of them were even standing up. She scratched her ear with her right arm.

"Mowing!" she said brightly.

"Good mowing to you too, Haley!" I said, coming to give her a kiss on her cheek.

"So are we going to the hospital today?" asked Tom.

"Uhm, yeah I guess," I answered, remembering about Callie.