Chapter One: She is Expendable

~I never saw you coming, and I'll never be the same~State of Grace - Taylor Swift

State of Grace - Taylor Swift

~3rd Person POV~

"What's our target?" Jessica chirps toward her fellow scaly comrades.

"The young club-tail has grown big enough to feed us," the group of four's Alpha, Ada, explains.

"We must chase it from its mother and corner it," Benji, the Beta, commands.

"This should be fun." Niles bows slightly, showing that he is ready to take action.

"It's been a while since we've had a decent meal. We deserve this." Jessica stands tall. She's suddenly thrown to the ground, Benji holding her down with his own weight. His dirt-colored face lowers to her pale purple one.

"You would be wise to remember your place, Omega," he growls as he releases Jessica. She gives a grunt of annoyance as she pushes herself to her feet.

"I do know my place," she sneers.

"Then you should know that Omega takes the scraps." Benji gives a devilish smirk. Jessica only sighs as Niles trots to her side, nudging her shoulder with his.

"Do not worry about him. He is threatened by you," he comforts her. "You are smarter than all of us and he does not like it."

"You'd hate me if you knew why I have to be Omega," she sighs. Niles pushes her away from the Alpha and Beta so they can continue their conversation.

"You did not smell like one of us when you arrived. They picked it up too," he explains. Knots begin to form in Jessica's stomach as he speaks. "You smelled like the creature who trespassed the other day."

"There's a human." Jessica perks up at the news. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"Because I do not want you to leave us for him." Niles locks eyes with his mate.

"I can't let him die out here, Niles,"  Jessica says seriously. "I'll hunt tonight because we need the food but I need to protect him." She gives way to a soft laugh. "Maybe he'll treat me like his Beta instead of an Omega."

"You know that I of all of us know you deserve much more than Omega."

"I know. But I have to go now. It's really important that I help him. He could use an extra head, especially when he's out of his element," she sighs.

"It is time!" Alpha Ada grabs their attention as she begins their sprint toward the juvenile ankylosaurus. The sun is beginning to set; they know it would be harder for the beasts to see them.