Cuarenta y uno

I ended up falling asleep a couple hours after Noah ended the phone call. I wasn't necessarily physically tired but I was definitely emotionally drained and I guess I was convinced that sleep would help that.

  I ended up waking up around dinner time and my stomach growled, reminding me of the fact that I had yet to eat today.

  I dragged myself out of bed and headed towards the kitchen, groggily. I could have stayed in bed and continued to sulk but my stomach began to ache from the lack of food.

  I was too weak to make something for myself and so I sufficed to just pouring myself a bowl of Twix cereal.

  The bowl of cereal wasn't enough to satisfy my hunger but I didn't want to eat any more junk and I really didn't know how to cook/make anything else.

  I guess I had really grown dependent on others, seeing as I lacked a lot of simple skills and could barely take care of myself.

  I dropped my empty bowl into the sink and plopped down onto the couch, clicking on the TV and hoping it would take my mind off of everything unlike how it wasn't able to this morning.

  Spongebob wasn't on but some new cartoon called Big City Greens was, so I tuned into that and found that it was actually a pretty good show.

  My mind still wandered back to the fact that my life was now a big mess, but the TV helped to distract me.

  Thoughts of loneliness turned into thoughts of how I related to the main character, Cricket, and eventually I was laughing along with the show.

  Eventually I realized that now would be a good time to take a shower, seeing as I wasn't busy and could probably use one.

  I made my way to the bathroom that was just across the hall from my bedroom and quickly stripped myself of my old clothes.

  The feeling of hot water cascading down my shoulders and back was nice and I felt content for the amount of time I was locked in the small bathroom.

  After I had washed myself, I slipped out from the shower and pulled a fluffy white towel around myself.

  As I made my way to my bedroom for some clothes, water droplets fell from my skin, leaving a little trail on the wooden floor that filled the hallway.

  I shut my door and dropped the towel, intaking a sharp breath as the cold air nipped at my skin.

  I quickly pulled out a Pokémon pull-up from one of the drawers on my dresser and tugged it on, scanning my room for a comfortable pair of clothes or pajamas.

  I spotted one of Tyler's shirts- one he'd given me to keep after it had gotten a little too small for him. It was a soft blue T-shirt that I used for pajamas frequently.

  I hesitated but eventually picked it up and pulled it over my messy hair. It fell just below the top of the pull-up, resting on my thigh.

  I found a pair of sweatpants and tugged them on, grabbing a blanket from my crib and returning myself to the couch.

  I wrapped myself in the blanket and let my attention return to the TV that was sadly no longer showing Big City Greens.

~

Noah called that night when he got home from the reunion. He told me all about his family- speaking mostly of his brother, Julian.

It was clear that him and Julian were quite close, though they didn't see each other often.

"Julian's got a pretty girlfriend whose name is Anya," he told me. "She's super nice and she has really pretty mocha skin and really curly black hair," he added. "I think she's good for Julian and the family loves her."

  "That's nice. You said someone in your family recently had a baby?" I asked, referring to something he had said earlier.

  "Oh, yeah. Julian's dad's girlfriend just had a little girl. Her name is Dahlia. She's got really pretty eyes and she's a really sweet baby. Looks nothing like Julian though, but I guess Julian took after our mother more anyway," Noah explained excitedly.

  "Your family sounds nice," I concluded.

  "I guess so, besides the fact that twenty percent of them are homophobic," Noah quipped. "I wish my mom wasn't part of that twenty percent," he whispered. "But she hasn't said anything about it since I've been here so that's cool," he added.

  "Yeah," I agreed.

  "You don't talk much about your family. Mind telling me about them?" He requested.

  "My mother and father split up when I was really young. I don't know my mother well because my father ended up with custody. My father was very homophobic and kicked me out when I came out. I'm an only child, so no siblings, and I've never met any cousins or aunts or anything like that. So yeah," I said, letting out a sigh.

  "I shouldn't have asked, I'm sorry," Noah apologized after a few seconds of silence between us.

  "It's fine Noah, honestly," I assured him.

  "Can I ask you another question?" He asked hesitantly.

  "Yeah."

  "Do you ever wonder what your mom is like?"

  "I do. It's hard not to wonder those kinds of things. I know when I was little that she was a really sweet woman but I don't know if she's still like that and I don't think she is. I think there was a reason my father won custody instead of her. I know for a fact she didn't just give me up," I confessed.

  "She wasn't always home, so I can't remember exactly what kind of woman she was. But I think she was a good mom at some point and I'd like to think she still is, even if I'm wrong," I continued.

  "Yeah," Noah agreed. "Thanks for telling me all that."

  "No problem. We're friends, Noah. I trust you," I stated. "Call me tomorrow when you can, I think I should get to bed."

  "Okay, yeah. Goodnight September," he whispered into the phone. I hung up and turned onto my side, staring at the TV which was now off. I was too lazy to drag myself back to bed and so I let myself fall asleep right there on the couch.

Since nobody has been stopping at the garage sale I've just been sitting here and writing this chapter for you guys. I hope you like it. I'm a little distracted still with some stuff for the garage sale and preparing for the Fourth of July so this might not be the best but I wanted to write it for you guys anyway cause I love you guys so freaking much.