Chapter 38: The Breakdown

Start from the beginning

The lake mirrored the sky above, both of them the kind of blue that colours those impossibly bright tourist brochures. Justin closed his eyes. The breeze that ran unchecked over the rippled surface blew his brown hairs over his eyes that I want to ran my hands through his soft hairs.

Without the distraction of the view I could detect the scent. The moist early summer air was fragranced with the pine trees that circled the lake, growing so close that some had toppled in and others dangles cobra-thick roots into the water.

He sat near the lake. I was dumbstruck taking the beautiful view. As my eyes looked everywhere my gaze stopped on the high cliff that was just few steps from the lake. It looked very high and the night view of the city from there would be amazing.

I glanced at Justin. He was all quiet tonight, not like him at all, mister chatter himself. I'm used to the long tales, the rambling, the quick wit. I bite my inner lip for just a half second before sitting next to him, flicking my hair in the fading light of the evening.

He speaks before I get the chance. "I want to tell you something but please promise me you won't run away from me." There's something in his candour that worries me, this isn't Justin. He isn't usually direct like this.

"I won't." I say reassuring him placing my hands in his, interlacing our fingers and giving him a warm squeeze to continue.

"Promise!"

"Cross my heart." My heart is beating so faster. What is it he want to tell me.

"I killed my mother.." a tear drop unknowingly escaped his eyes. He stopped to look at me. That shocked me. How could he? But I know there is story behind all the titles so I don't want to be judgemental.

"I'm all ears tonight." I don't know what else to say.

"When I was nine, we came here for the summer vacation. My mom was pregnant with six months baby. We were really happy family. Mom, dad and me. One day dad got called and left to attend the emergency case. Mom and I were alone and she strictly told me to stay home and play indoor games." He paused for a moment.

"I didn't listened to her. Dad wasn't there to scold me and mom would never raise her voice at me. I ran towards that cliff and wanted to look the view and play around the fresh rainy atmosphere. But I was caught off guard and fell off the cliff but I hung on the branch tree and yelled for mom. When she heard me, she came to my rescue, she rescued me and I ran off but that was the last time I saw her. She fell off of the cliff and the next moment she was dead, mom and my baby sister. Its all my fault. I killed them. I am a monster Jass." It seemed to me that I could feel his heart breaking as he clung to me.

So this is it. It's his past that's bothering his present and future too. That's why he's so disturbed all the times. I don't know whether to hug him or just let him finish.

He looks away, I know his eyes are full of emotion he doesn't want to share.

His voice trails off.

It was painful to see him like this. All I could do was embrace him and let the torrent of his tears to soak through my shirt. I could hear his silently screaming, suffocating with each breath he took holding onto his pride. I ran my fingers through his hair, time and time again, in an attempt to calm the silent war within his mind.

Once that first tear broke free, the rest followed in an unbroken stream.

I never saw him this vulnerable to the extend to shed tears. I feel his pain of losing someone so dear to you.

"It was only true horrific day and still is the day she left me behind."

With tears pouring from my eyes, I tried to console him. "I recall the last words she spoke to me before taking her last breath, 'I love you' its still vivid in my mind."