Extra: Zareb and Varick

** This chapter comes to you as a gift from Jagermeanshunter . She is one of the giveaway winners, and has selected a drabble about Zareb and Varick together. Since she is so kind, she has elected to share her prize with all of you in the form of an extra chapter. I hope you enjoy this peek into the (distant) future!

Zareb grunted as he shielded Varick from a trident to the face. Varick growled low and launched himself at the enemy Selach warrior. They tumbled in the water together, jaws snapping and claws dragging over each others skin.

He turned his attention to the Naiad warrior behind him, putting up his fists as the broad-shouldered merman struck at him. Zareb's blood roared in his ears, but the rest of the world faded away until it was only him and his enemy.

Zareb grinned wickedly.

He whipped his tail up and slammed it into his opponent. The other warrior gasped as the air was knocked out of him. Zareb took advantage of his daze and grabbed his wrists. Glowing manacles formed where Zareb grabbed at him.

Then Zareb tugged the merman forward and slammed his fist into the other warrior's face. He punched again, aiming a blow for the mermans ear to unbalance him.

Zareb didn't notice the third merman coming up behind him.

Varick's voice filled the water. A shiver ran down Zareb's back as warmth flooded into him. He turned to see his would-be attacker clutching at his ears and spasming in the water.

It still astonished Zareb that the Selachs could use targeted magic, singing a song that would affect only the ones they wanted to. He blinked as the warriors around him cried out in pain.

Wide-eyed, Zareb swam down to where Varick was singing. The Selach's eyes were black, the pupil expanded completely over the iris. Zareb grabbed Varick's face. He knew nothing he said would snap the shark-tailed merman out of his battle lust.

Zareb pressed his lips against Varick's in a desperate kiss. The song stopped. Varick's pupils slowly constricted. He melted into Zareb's touch.

Varick gripped Zareb's waist and drew him close, deepening the kiss. Heat flashed through Zareb. It was always this way with Varick, hot and fierce. Zareb slid his hands up into Varick's wild hair and held him tight.

Time seemed to stop. All that existed was Varick's heat.

"I thought this was a training session?" Lachlan's amused voice startled Zareb out of the kiss. Varick groaned as his mate pulled away from him.

Zareb flushed. He'd gotten distracted again. Varick brushed kisses over his neck, offering further distraction, but duty came first.

Zareb looked up at the warriors, who were shaken, but otherwise seemed okay. "Soldiers, you are dismissed for the day. Make sure any injuries are tended to."

The warriors above him placed their fists over their hearts and headed back to the palace of Nereus as a pack, Selach included. They had come a long way in the past years.

Lachlan drifted closer. "Sorry to interrupt." He winked. "Just wanted to let you know that Ayo--"

"Daddy!" The hatchling darted around Lachlan and launched herself into Zareb's arms, knocking the wind out of him. "You promised we could see the tree today!"

"That." Lachlan said lightly. "I wanted to let you know that was coming." Behind Lachlan, a set of sparkling blue eyes peeked cautiously up at them. 

Zareb laughed. "I promised we could go after we got done training, Ayoka."

The dark-skinned mermaid looked around them pointedly. "And now you are done training, so we go. Duh."

Zareb locked eyes with Varick, who was struggling not to laugh. Obviously, his mate would not be any help against their youngest. "Well, since you asked so nicely..."

Ayoka cheered. Her small shark-tail wiggled in her excitement. Ayoka turned and shouted. "C'mon Kamau!! He said yes." 

Kamau swam around Lachlan and up to Varick. He gently folded himself against his father's chest and Zareb's heart melted. There was such tender affection between his mate and their oldest child. 

Ayoka reached up and patted his cheek, like she could sense the love radiating off of him. Zareb marveled at how different his children were. Ayoka's lavender hair and violet eyes had been surprise enough, but Kamau was something else altogether.

Kamau's shark-tail was black, and his skin was the same obsidian color. Yet, despite his striking appearance, Kamau preferred actions to words and didn't like strangers. In other words, he took after Varick.

"Daddy, Kamau is here so now we can go, yeah?" Ayoka smiled prettily. Zareb chuckled. He had no idea how they had made such a talkative child together, but here she was. 

"Yes, Ayoka. Now we are all together, so we can go." Zareb held out his hand. Varick took it and squeezed his hand gently. Together, the family swam into Nereus for a day of warm memories.