[ 32 ]

"Let him go!" Melodia's voice roared through the water, empowered by her anger. It slammed into Asisya and threw her against the far wall hard enough to crack the coral. Bastian struggled against the chains that bound him, but even in his weakened state, he knew it was doing nothing. All he could do now was watch while Asisya regained her composure and glared at the intruders.

Yet Melodia had not wasted the precious few seconds it had taken Asisya to recover. She was a battle hardened mermaid and her lungs were full of fresh air. Her spine straightened and her chest shifted as she began to sing. Peace fell over Bastian like a warm blanket on a cold night. His body slumped and his eyes closed as Melodia's song washed over him. All was well. 

Bastian almost missed the flash of blue that signaled Militum's drawing of his blade. The small knife glimmered with sigils that lit the water around it. The guard paused a moment before he swam straight to Bastian. His large hands moved quickly, and he ripped the chains from the wall with a ripple of muscle. 

Bastian slumped the ground, Militum's warm arms supported his upper body. From here, he could see Asisya behind Militum, and was surprised to find she was still upright.

The pearl she bore in her right hand was glowing gold and pulsing, the light spilling through her fingers. Melodia didn't know what she was up against. Bastian struggled to sit up under the weight of his mother's powerful song. Militum laid a hand on his shoulder. "Shh, Bastian. You're safe now."

Bastian shook his head, but even that simple motion seemed to be too much, and the room was set spinning. He closed his eyes. "The pearl." His voice croaked out. "Aug..ustus..pearl." Militum looked confused, his hand still warm on Bastian's shoulder. Behind him, Asisya's tail spasmed and her eyes lit with gold power.

"You dare come to my home!" She lifted a clawed hand and struck out at the water. A ripple of waves flowed out from her strike, growing in force until they frothed with energy. Melodia's eyes widened as the waves drew close. 

They crashed into Militum as he dove between the mermaids. Militum was shoved into Melodia's arms, and she stopped singing as his weight fell onto her. 

Together, they lifted themselves up and faced Asisya with bared teeth.

Bastian wiggled his tail, trying to shake the last of Melodia's soothing song from his bones. Now he knew why she had been a Siren. Her song was a punch to the consciousness. Even now, his tail felt like it was made of stone. His movement drew Asisya's attention and a wicked smile grew over her face.

Melodia and Militum hissed in unison. "Touch him and I will flay you alive!" Melodia's voice held no hesitation. 

Asisya threw back her head and laughed. "You think you can take me, little Undine? You think too much of yourself."

Militum bristled. "Don't speak to her."

Asisya turned to face him. "Don't presume to give me orders. You're in my home, now, and the ocean itself obeys me!" To emphasize her point, she lifted her arms and the water swirled around her. A small whirlpool surrounded her, with the gold light of the pearl casting sparkles into the water around her. Magic crackled around the room, and the hairs on Bastian's arms rose.

Danger.

He pushed himself up to a seated position and watched Asisya open her mouth. Song poured from her throat, and every note was like glass; sparks of magic tinkled delicately to the ground, and shattered in a thousand painful pieces that pierced his skin. Pain overwhelmed him and he cried out. 

Melodia screamed. Militum roared. He jammed his knife into the stone floor and a diamond of protection bloomed around Melodia. Militum launched himself at Asisya, straight into the thick of the magic. 

Asisya held her arm up, and golden light formed between her claws until she could grip it. Militum slammed into her. Bastian lost consciousness for a second.

When he snapped awake, Militum was pinned to the ceiling. A golden spear pierced his side and held him there as his blood poured into the water. Asisya cackled and twisted her spear, forcing a cry of pain out of Militum. 

Bastian lunged forward, his tail pushing off against the stone with all the force he could muster. Melodia beat him to Asisya. Her talons were out and she dug into Asisya's face, drawing blood as she desperately tried to claw Asisya's eyes out. Bastian dove for her closed hand, prying at her fingers to get to the pearl.

The golden spear shimmered and disappeared as Asisya lost concentration. She bellowed her anger, and the ocean swirled faster around her. 

Melodia lost her grip and was slammed into the floor with a sickening crunch. Militum struggled toward Asisya, still bleeding profusely out of his side. Bastian yelled over the sound of the water raging around them. 

"Cut her hair!"

Militum looked confused and his hands gripped at Asisya's other arm so they were both hanging onto her. Bastian hooked his arm around Asisya's and pointed to his hair. Then he made a slashing motion. 

Asisya turned and bit Militum's hand. He reached up and punched her, making her head rock back. Her hold slackened on the pearl, and Bastian managed to pry it out of her grasp. Immediately, the water calmed, and he swam to his mother with the pearl clutched tight against his chest. 

Beside Melodia's prone body, Militum's knife still lay lodged into the stone. Bastian grabbed it and threw it hard toward Asisya and Militum. "Dad!"

Militum caught the knife by the blade and adjusted his grip on it. He grabbed at Asisya's hair and slashed crudely through it, cutting it off at her shoulders. Bastian saw the lock of silver hair come away with the red braid. 

Asisya screeched and clawed at her own face. Her green skin wrinkled and sagged. Gray swept through the remaining hair on her head and her tail scales. She shrank in on herself and sank to the floor. 

Militum wasted no time. He followed after her and thrust his blade right between her eyes. The Queen of Atlantis died quickly. After he wrenched his blade from Asisya's skull, Militum hurried to Melodia's side. 

Together, Bastian and Militum lifted her to a seated position. Melodia's eyes fluttered open, and when she saw her son, she smiled. 

"I'm so glad you're safe, Bastian."

Relief flooded him, and he pressed his forehead against her shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Mother. I never should have left Nereus."

Melodia laughed, but the sound was weak. "Listen to me very carefully, my beautiful son." She tilted her head just enough to kiss his hair. "You did what you thought was right. Never be ashamed of having hope. I only wish you could have trusted me to help you."

Bastian breathed in, and the water tasted sweet. Melodia always knew just what to say. He looked up to thank her, and stopped when he saw the look on Militum's face. The guard was pale, and his eyes were filled with tears he had not shed. 

"Melodia...why couldn't you just stay in the barrier?"

Only then did Bastian notice that his mother wasn't moving. Her gills were barely fluttering in the water. Melodia smiled. 

"You know why, Militum." 

Bastian had been in danger. Melodia had saved him. 

And now she was dying.

~~~~~~

I'm crying. Why did I do this? Someone save these babies from me!