[ 35 ]

The ocean moved like Time itself, slow but inevitable. Water churned inside the dome that housed Atlantis, running in a big, sweeping circle from the ground up. Bastian knew, even without his connection to the ocean, that it would become a maelstrom. Whoever had the Ocean's pearl was going to annihilate Atlantis, and probably everything in it.

Bastian lurched forward. "Lachlan! Lachlan, get out!" Only Zareb's strong grip kept him from making progress.

Lachlan was too far away. The water was too loud. Ambrosia was still locked around him, her fangs bared and her claws out.

"Zareb, he doesn't know what's coming. Please!"

Zareb looked pale, his eyes trained on the fight below them. But he didn't release Bastian. "Can you pull him out of there, Bast? Grab him with your magic?"

Bastian shook his head. "I... I can't, Zareb. I don't have magic anymore."

"What? How is that possible?"

"Asisya took it from me. I...I think Militum has it now. I think he's doing...all of that." Bastian gestured below them. The water was a visible current now, strong and unstoppable. Buildings had begun to crumble, and the water picked up the chunks of stone and branches from the silver-lit tree.

Ambrosia and Lachlan both were caught up in the raging current, but they didn't seem to notice. They were too busy biting at each other.

Zareb's tail bunched up. Bastian turned back to Lachlan, prepared to swim beside the dark-skinned merman on a rescue mission. Before they could flip their tails, Lachlan's armband lit up green on both their arms.

"You two mussel-heads want to tell me what you're still doing here?" Lachlan's voice came through, soft amid a roar of water.

Below the dome, the water became muddy as the ocean floor was ravaged by the currents. Even the cracks around the hole in the dome were spreading. It wouldn't take long for the entire dome to crumble into shards.

Bastian spoke quickly. "We're coming to get you Lachlan, just hold on!"

"No! You have to go. Just leave me. Ow! Ambrosia, you're a right who—"

"We're not leaving you," Bastian said fiercely. "We're not leaving anyone else."

Electricity sparked in the water, sending bolts of white hot energy around the edges of the city. Now the water around Bastian began to drag at him.

"You don't have a choice, Bast. The Sun will set soon, and you have a long way to go. I'll get Militum an— ow! GODDESS TAKE YOU, YOU CONNIVIN—" The armband cut out. "We'll find you. Now go!"

Bastian looked to Zareb, desperate. "We can still get him..."

Zareb shook his head. "Without your power? We'll just get caught up in the storm, Bast. And he's right. We really don't have much time left."

"But...how will he find us? He doesn't know where to go."

Varya snorted. "Use that." She pointed at the item Bastian still held in his hands.

The small clam shell that Lachlan had thrown at him just before the golden light had radiated out from Atlantis. Bastian looked at it, confused. He'd thought maybe Lachlan had gotten the wrong thing from his hair. It happened, on occasion. The copper curls were full of too many things.

"A clam?" Bastian touched it, feeling the ridged outer shell under his finger. On a hunch, he slid a claw between the top and bottom shell and popped it open. Inside was a small pile of shiny red scales. Bastian frowned at them. "What is this?"

Varya swam closer and peeked over his shoulder. "Lachlan has been leaving a trail of these behind us since we left your city. He dropped them roughly every quarter league. If I had to guess, it's probably what led your companions to us so quickly."

Bastian's mind supplied a memory of the scale laying at the door of Asisya's dark hallway. She must have taken Lachlan and the others captive before she got to Bastian...and Lachlan had led Militum and Melodia right to them.

He snapped the clam shut again.

Lachlan had been leaving a trail the whole time. He had volunteered for the journey, and trusted Bastian, but he had left a trail all the same. Lachlan never left anything to chance. If anyone could escape a maelstrom and rescue Militum, it would be his clever Jewel.

"We don't have any more time. Let's go." Bastian turned his back on the destruction of Atlantis, and faced the future of his own clan.

He swam hard to escape the pull of the water. Zareb helped him, getting them free of the danger zone before it could trap them.

Varya glanced back, her brother at her side. "We aren't too far, but if we plan to make it before the moon rises, we will need to swim faster."

She looked to her brother and spoke in their native tongue. The rough growls made Bastian flinch instinctively. It seemed to him that their entire language was made of hunting sounds.

The siblings nodded and turned, offering their hands to Zareb and Bastian. Zareb reached out to Varick instantly, and Bastian realized Lachlan had spoken the truth.

The mermen looked at one another with mutual respect, and something more.

Varya cleared her throat. "You'll be quicker if I help you, Triton." She flexed her claws. "I won't hurt you."

Bastian hesitated. The wailing maelstrom behind him spurred him on. He took Varya's hand in his.

In pairs, the Selachs guided the Naiads into warmer waters. Below them, the ocean sand turned dark and glinted in the low light. Bastian had seen it before, from the Selkies who traded in Nereus -- volcanic glass.

They had officially entered Selach territory.

~~~~~~~~~

Almost done now, lovelies! Please remember to vote if you liked this chapter. Your votes and comments give me life. <3