[ 16 ]

Bastian swam restlessly around the office that had belonged to his father. The shelves were full of scrolls that had been left alone so long they were beginning to grow algae. Hanging above the shelves on the northern wall of the room was an ornate portrait of Triton Augustus.

The previous Tritons warm golden eyes nearly glowed in the dim light and they appeared to follow Bastian as he paced. Ambrosia was beside the painting, looking up at it with intense concentration. Though they had arrived only ten minutes ago, time seemed to stretch on and on. Bastian felt like he'd been waiting for hours. 

The armband he wore glowed green once more, and Lachlan's quiet song floated up to Bastian's anxious ears. 

"Swim to the Dome, Bastian. Make sure you are well hidden."

Carefully, Bastian adjusted the flowing black garment he'd been given to wear. The shroud had been Ambrosia's idea. If he looked like an Atlantean, then no one would question his swimming around, or so the idea went. 

"Ambrosia." She turned her face from the painting, seeming reluctant to do so. "It's time. Let's go." Bastian swam to one of the many windows in the office and opened it just enough for them to squeeze through.

The office was near the middle of the palace so it was one of the shorter buildings. Because the palace had been crafted in the shape of an almost blooming flower, the buildings and hallways near the edge were significantly taller than the ones in the middle. 

This unique design served many purposes, including easy defense of inner buildings and quick navigation for visitors. If someone was unfamiliar with which paths connected different buildings, they could easily end up lost inside the palace. All they had to do in order to find their bearing was swim up and out - a little inelegant, but very effective.

Unfortunately, Bastian and Ambrosia couldn't afford to be seen swimming that high. If they did, the palace guards would question them and they might get caught. So Bastian led the way through the maze of hallways and buildings, taking the paths he thought would be less traveled.

His swimming was slowed because the black hood made seeing very difficult for Bastian. He wasn't used to wearing so much clothing, and it was almost suffocating to move in. Or maybe just sneaking around was what made breathing so difficult. Bastian had never been the sneaky kind. 

After a minute, Ambrosia took his gloved hand in hers and squeezed it lightly. Bastian's heart fluttered.

For all the trouble it gave him, Ambrosia moved easily in her own black shroud. He murmured directions to her and she led the way out of the compound, tugging him along so they could move quicker.

Each time they drew near anyone, Bastian held his breath, but the shrouds proved to be better than a song of invisibility. No one looked at them for more than a second. For a moment, Bastian felt free.

He could swim anywhere he wanted and no one would recognize him. No one would ask him for anything. 

Ambrosia stopped. Bastian swam into her.

"Oof. Sorry!"

"Shhh!" Ambrosia hissed back at him. "Prince Arsenius is near."

Bastian's tail went rigid and he looked around until a flash of gold caught his attention. Ambrosia gently shoved him to the side of the hallway and bowed to Arsenius.

The prince didn't acknowledge her as he passed, keeping his attention instead on his guard. "I don't care what you have to do, Atreus. I want Zareb at my side before dawn. He's a good warrior. We could use him."

"My Prince, I beg your pardon, but I don't think that's a good idea." Atreus spoke softly, but firmly. "He's polluted. His Atlantean lineage has corrupted his song. He can't even summon..." his voice faded as they disappeared down the hallway.