He Was My Friend

Chapter 28

Piers is the first to go down the stairs. I follow carefully behind him. I’m not sure I’m ready to see what I’m about to see. I might see my three fellow friends lying dead on the ground. I might see the opposite. I might not even see anything. I might just get shot and die before I reach the bottom of the stairs.

Dying is a serious fear of mine. I don’t want to know what happens after death, if there is anything that does. I don’t want to die. It’s stupid, because nobody really wants to die. But I’m terrified of it. Yet I surround myself with death all the time. It makes no sense.

“Duck.”

I shove Piers’s head down when we reach the bottom of the stairs. We both go crashing to the ground. But we do miss the knife that whirls past our heads just in time. It crashes into the wall, staying there. Without missing a beat, I jump back up, retrieve it, and swipe it in the direction it came at us.

Piers looks at me, full of bizarre amazement. “Thanks.”

“No problem. C’mon.”

As soon as he’s back on his feet, but he’s a bit slower due to me throwing him onto the ground with a broken arm. He tries to act as if it doesn’t affect him, but I’ve had broken bones before, so I know it’s going to hurt like a mother fucker. But he’s gotta bite through it.

In the distance, I can see Lexi fighting off Claire. She doesn’t look too scathed. It’s mostly Claire who looks pretty bruised up. She keeps trying to dodge the blows that Lexi sends her way, but it’s useless. She’s new to the bunch, so she doesn’t have that much training with combat. If at all, actually. Who knows how much training she has had.

I turn Piers the other way so he doesn’t see Claire. Riker is in the corner, fighting off Mira. Mira is the best one with fighting, probably even better than Graham. Her dark hair cling to her sweaty cheeks as she kicks Riker in the gut. They both have knives in hand, and neither of them look badly damaged.

I nod towards Riker. “Go help him. I’ll go to Lexi.”

He nods. “Alright.”

He takes off and I survey the area again. It’s too dark in here, but if the power turns on, the cue does too. Ace and Graham are no where to be found. Panic builds up inside me, but I have to ignore it if I want to fight off Claire.

I come up behind Claire and kick her to the ground. She falls, and Lexi whips out a gun. But Claire is fast, just like Ace. She gets out of the way and ends up behind me. A good enough punch is sent towards my back, and I fall to the ground, groaning. But I’m up again, swiping her in her jaw.

She cries out and Lexi takes over. Claire is thrown to the ground and clunks her head on the wall. She’s completely unconscious. I turn to Lexi, nodding in the way of where Piers is. “Go help Piers. I’ll take care of her.”

She looks at me warily. “You sure?”

I nod. “Yes. Go.”