Ace's POV - Straight To The Heart

Ace’s POV - Straight To The Heart

(Just to clear this up: This is a previous chapter that happened earlier, but now it's in Ace's POV to show his side.)

The Vinges are going to start going after hunters. This is a entirely huge problem for me. I was debating on whether or not to let Scarlett join the team. She needs to be safe, 24/7. But I can’t even give her that. They’re going to start planning to kill hunters, one by one, and they’re going straight to the top of the list: the number one ranker.

Leaving her off the team, here, alone, without protection is like walking away from someone who is about to commit suicide. I can’t do that to her. But having her on the team means more danger than ever. She’ll be coming face to face with the Vinges, attacking them head-on. Both of these options suck.

It’s not like I can just waltz into her room and have her stay put in a safe area until I can get this all sorted out. She’s too stubborn, she’ll won’t ever let me go attack the Vinges by myself. She’ll want to help. I just don’t want her to get hurt. I just want to keep her safe.

I quietly enter her hotel room. I already know she’s knocked out like a light; she fought off a vampire today, then later, went after it. She drove all the way to Virginia to hunt him. She travels all over the place for vampires if they mean enough to her.

I rub at my face, deeply sighing. I quietly walk over to her side, reaching down to move some of her hair out of her face. It’s softer than I thought it would be. Her face looks pretty soft, too. Before I can reach down to touch her, she suddenly jolts awake. But she’s not alone. A sword, hidden underneath her pillow, thwacks down on my lower arm.

I hiss out in pain, already seeing what’s coming next. Just in time, I grab the blade of the sword before it can come down on me again. I don’t keep a good grip on it, though, and she takes it back. But instead of trying to hit me again, she makes a move for the lights.

When they go on, she looks at me in complete shock. Her eyes glance to my cut that’s on my arm. It was made of bronze, I can tell, because it hurts like a mother fucker. It’ll heal, eventually. Her eyes go back onto me, but she doesn’t look too surprised anymore.

“You!” She gasps, more in a tone that’s pissed off.

“Damn, sweetheart,” I try to laugh off, glancing down at my bleeding arm, “I wasn’t expecting that.” I’m already starting to feel a little lightheaded. It shouldn’t bleed too much, because I’m not a full vampire, but it should take its toll.

She’s the first person, in a very long time, to be able to do that. Nobody’s ever even gotten near me. I’ve dealt with even more close calls than what she just pulled and still, I didn’t have a scratch on me. All it takes is that one girl that I can’t stop thinking about and in return I get a bleeding arm. Welcome to life.

The sword goes up. “I’ll do it again, fucker.”

I laugh because I can’t help it. “Don’t. I need my other arm.” I pause, watching her movements. “Sorry if I scared you.”