“Oh, stop being a lazy bum,” Desirée rolled her eyes. “We don’t really care how long it takes to get here, May, it’s worth it to see your beautiful face.”

“Aw, you guys are too much,” I laughed.

“No but seriously, you can have anything you want!” Izzy wheedled.

“What about my education?” I asked, rolling my eyes.

“We can get you into the top universities. What school wouldn’t want a bright, sixteen-year-old girl like you? Trust me, Harvard and Yale will be climbing on people’s backs to get a share,” Desy jumped eagerly.

“But what if I just want to go to UQ? Or even just a TAFE?”

“Oh come on, Maysilee!” Izzy exclaimed. “We’re just trying to help! We just want the best for you. Why do you have to keep turning us down?”

“Hush, Isobelle!” Desirée placed a hand on Izzy’s shoulder. “Everyone is different, remember? Maisie doesn’t have to lead a big life in the spotlight.”

“Yeah, I know…” Isobelle’s shoulders slumped. “Sorry, May.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I mumbled.

“No really, May, I’m sorry,” Izzy pulled me into a hug. “You can do whatever you want with your life. That’s pretty much what you do now, anyway, what with a measly three hours of home schooling a day. Why do you get off so easy?”

I giggled at my sister’s whines.

“It’s because I’ve learned all the stuff I need to know already,” I grinned. “When you have no sisters around, you suddenly find yourself with a lot more free time. I’ve had to resort to university degree-level biology and chemistry to keep me entertained!”

“Holy cow, our sister is smarter than both of us combined,” Desy murmured. “I’m ashamed.”

“You should be,” I retorted, poking my tongue out at her.

“That’s it, you’re in for it!” she yelped, tackling me to the ground.

“ATTACK!” Izzy screamed, jumping on top and going for my sides.

“Aha… no! Don’t – don’t – tickle me!” I giggled uncontrollably.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ 

I smile at the memory. 

I miss my sisters.

Damn that stupid biological reaction called growing up.

Why did everyone I love have to go away?

First her, then Desirée, and then Isobelle…

Soon I’ll have no one left. 

What would I do? What am I going to do? 

About my sisters?

My life?

Her?

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

“It’s just a tiny audition,” Desirée shot me an encouraging smile. “It doesn’t matter whether you get through or not.”

“But I… I don’t want to disappoint you,” I mumbled, staring at the ground.