Chapter 12: Date night

*Friday AFTER SCHOOL*

"Mel, I said you could do my make-up, hair, and wardrobe. I DID NOT agree to being your life size Barbie!! If anything, Skylar should be your Barbie, she would loooooooove the attention." I bat my eyelashes just like Skylar would.

"YOU PRETTY MUCH DID, EMMY!!" She chirps and pulls a stick of eyeliner, tube of lipgloss, and mascara out of her bra.

I raise my eyebrow, "Nice use of your bra, I guess your boobies weren't big enough to fill them?" I shake my boobs for emphasis . . . or cause I'm socially awkward.

"Stop drinking that haterade, bitch. You jelly of my amazing stuffing skills." Melanie turns around, whips off her shirt, and begins to jump up and down.

"EWWW THIS ISN'T A STRIPPER CLUB, WHORE!!!!" my hands cover my eyes to prevent further life-scarring. I peek at the floor, and see more assorted beauty products. Blush. Liquid foundation. Perfume. A hair straightener?

"Have you ever heard of using a . . . oh I don't know . .. makeup bag?"

"I happen to like putting things in my bra, thank you very much." She huffs, but then we look at each other and burst out laughing.

I'm so glad that we're friends now, Mel is awesomer than ANY PERSON EVER INVENTED! Well, born anyways. We're giggling so much that we don't notice rustling in the bushes. A muffled tap on the window beckons me to look in that direction.

And I think I would have saved myself from nearly pissing myself, if I didn't look.

"MEL!!!! I SEE SOMETHING MOVING IN THE BUSHES HOLY SHIT I'M NEVER GONNA GET TO GO ON MY DATE AND WE'RE GOING TO BE RAPED TO DEATH!!!!!!" I scream, and she looks out the window too.

"I SEE RED HAIR, FUCK, PEOPLE WERE RIGHT WHEN THEY SAID GINGERS HAD NO SOULS (a/n not trying to offend anyone with red hair) CAUSE THIS PERSON WILL KILL US . . . BRUTALLY!!!"  Melanie runs over to me, we hold onto each other like life vests, terrified of the person in the bushes.

"THAT BASTARD HAS BINOCULARS!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

"IF WE DIE, I LIED WHEN I SAID I LIKE CHOCOLATE MILK EARLIER!!!! I THINK IT'S TOO BROWN TO BE MILK!!!!" I shoot her a "really?" look. Leave it to Melanie to change the topic like that. And for her to confess that.

If I wasn't so freaked out, I might have actually laughed.

I release Mel, grab my trusty baseball bat, and the crowbar from underneath my bed. Let's just say I haven't felt entirely safe living with an abusive father.

"SWEET, NOW WE HAVE WEAPONS AND CAN FIGHT BACK!!! OH, AND BITCH, I BETTER GET TO USE THE CROWBAR!!" I toss it over without hesitation, the look in Melanie's eyes tell's  me that she's ready to kick some ass. Mel goes over to my window, and opens it. The fucking creep trys to run, but she grabs their shirt collar, and pulls them up into my room.

"Charles? WHY IN THE HELL WERE YOU SPYING ON US LIKE A FUCKING STALKER?!" She screeches, then tosses him aside like dirty laundry. I hold up my baseball bat for an intimidation factor, so he gives us answers quicker.

"I - I - I" He stutters.

"I- I- I what?" I mock, then raise the bat.

"I was . . . watching you." He mutters, and looks away, ashamed.

"WE KNOW you were watching us. For a straight-a student, you're pretty damn stupid cause we asked, WHY you were watching us." Melanie snaps, now in total anger mode. She's bipolar, and goes from being really giddy and naturally hyper, to being the devil straight from hell, and be as depressed as a puppy who's been kicked to many times. It's sometime's complicated, but it feels kinda good to know that neither of us is in ANY WAY normal.

"Emerson is beautiful, and I want to-o-o . . . bang her . . . while watching S-t-t-ar W-ars." Charles admits, his face turns as red as his hair.

WHAT? WHO HAS A LIFE DREAM OF BANGING A GIRL- WHILE WATCHING STAR WARS?!!! Starwars isn't ROMANTIC!!

"Melanie, BEAT ME TO DEATH WITH THIS BAT. DO IT NOW!!!" I hand over the bat, and brace myself for the incoming pain.

"Emerson, I'm not gonna beat you to death before your date. Charles, maybe, but not you. Now let's finish what we started, shall we?" Her voice is now calm, I watch Melanie breath in and out deeply, something her therapist told her to do.

"You, get your ass home, I'll deal with you later." Melanie dismisses Charles, and he runs off, screaming like a little girl.

I wonder why he's never had a girlfriend, he's just so . . . manly and romantic.

When he's gone we get right back into prepping for my big date!! Gosh I still can't believe I got so lucky to date Ryan. Melanie applies a coat of mascara to my long lashes, and a tiny bit of pink blush to my cheeks.

"I'm so embarrassed to be related to Charles." Mel continues to rant over her cousin, it's been a very interesting night, due to him.

"At least you're nothing like him, Mel. Then you'd want to screw me while watching Star Wars." I shudder, I still haven't gotten over that. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND HAS THAT VISION?

"Yeah, it's just fucking weird." She rolls her eyes, and begins curling my hair loosley. We're going for the natural-looking curls.

RRRRRRRINNNNNNGG!!!

I pick my phone up and check to see who's calling.

It's Ryan.

"Hey Superman!!! Tonight's going to be SO FUN!" I cheer, I wonder if he can hear my smile through the phone. If he could, then that would be pretty cool.

"Yeah . . . about tonight, I can't AAAAAAAHHHHHCHOOO AAAACHHHOO! Damn this cold, Emerson, I can't *cough cough* . . ." Ryan struggles.

"You can't what, Ryan?" I ask softly, even though I think I know what he's going to say.

"I can't go. AAAAAAACHOO! I'm sick."  He says, making my heart stop.

Our date has been canceled.

"It's okay. I wasn't that excited for it anyways." Lies. If I wasn't excited, I wouldn't be swallowing back tears right now.

"You should still go, though. Without *hack* me."

"Are you sure? I think I should probably just bring you some soup or something instead." I offer.

Melanie gives me the "what's going on?" lock and I mouth "he's sick". This is killing me right now.

"No, go to the fair, Em. I'm AACHO fine. Well that wasn't very convincing, was it?" He gives a light laugh, but ends up coughing.

"No, no it wasn't. I'll go to the fair, and leave early to check up on you. Sound good?" I end up giggling a little.

"Sounds awesome." Then the line goes dead.

It feels like the end, but these two mishaps are only the beginning of a very, very long night.