11

"Luke, are you alright?" Luke turned toward the door looking at it a moment before looking back at his mother.

"I don't know what to do with myself. This never happened before." Luke was clearly uptight about everything.

"In order to get better you have to have the surgery done." His mother was trying hard to explain everything.

"What do you mean get better?" Luke shot back. He was aggravated. "I'm not ever going to get better, Mom." Luke was facing reality, he was never actually going to be free of his illness it is a life long, horrible disease.

Those words caused Luke's Mom to embrace him, Luke rubbed her back as she cried. Luke was her only son. Her only sick son. This is all she's got.

"Don't cry. It'll be alright." He repeated those words to her. "I'm so afraid Luke."
"Afraid of what?" He questioned her.
"I'm afraid one day that when I wake up that you're not going to." Those words hurt Luke to hear, he never knew that's how his mother felt on the inside. "I promise that I'll stick around as long as possible."

-

Luke decided it would be best to go through with the surgery. But before going under the knife he did one final thing. He texted Ashton.

To: Ashton
From: luke

Come to the hospital...right now

To: luke
From: ashton

Why? What's wrong?

TO: ashton
From: luke

I'm having surgery

To: luke
From: ashton

Whaaat?

Luke couldn't respond back because he was getting wheeled down to the operating room.

His parents kissed and hugged him, it was real hard, Luke's never been in surgery before.

A few hours later....

-

Thought I'd found the highest of highs
You came and topped them all
You shine in the dead of the night
And I was the first to fall