chapter 4

Nyla

"20.47 ma'am" I said to the lady after i rung up her things. She swiped her card and put it in a pin, I handed her receipt to her and started to ring up the next customers things. I've been working here for 4 days now and to be honest my confidence level went up, I mean I do have to speak to customers all day. I cant wait to get paid, I'll probably put some food in the house and get my hair done since people look at it everyday.

"what's your name beautiful " This nigga said tryna flirt, he looked around my age but I wasn't sure. I pointed to my name tag and shook my head ringing his last item.

"Nyla" He said smiling ear to ear.

"That's what it say" I said with a slight attitude and took his 5$ crisp dollars.

"Well i'm Glock, so let me know when you off the clock" He said grabbing his bag and I handed him his receipt. I busted out laughing but immediately stopped when Rashad walked over. I turned my light off indicating I was on break.

"What's so funny " Rashad said looking dead at glock.

"Just talking to shawty , what you on Mr.Manager" He said to Rashad. By the sound of it it seem like they knew eachother. Rashad dapped him up and they talked amongst theirselves.

"Well i'm on break " I said breaking the little conversation. He nodded and before I could walk off Glock stopped me.

"So you got a number?" He asked and I shook my head no, embarrassed that I don't have a phone.

"Damn so il-

"Aye Glock stop flirting wit her raggedy ass and come on" Some boy said standing beside Rashad and they laughed. I quickly walked away and to the break room where my co-workers were. Two days ago this really pretty girl asked a piece of chicken I cooked that night when I brung it for lunch and ever since we been cool wouldn't say friends yet.

"Hey Nyla, what took you so long" Mila ( Mih-luh) said smiling showing her perfect white teeth sitting down at the table. I slid in the seat and shook my head.

"Some guy asked for my number" I told her shyly.

"Was he cute?" She asked sipping on her soda. She slid me a sprite out her bag and I opened it and winked indicating he was cute.

"Girllll you need a fucking phone, get one when you get paid" She said and I shrugged.

"I don't know, that's not a priority " I said sipping on my sprite.

"It is when fine ass niggas asking for yo number bitch" She said getting up. "My break is over , meet by my car after work" She added and I nodded after she walked out biting her lip at Rashad coming in.

"Wassup Nyla" He said standing in front of the table. A few other people was in here but they seemed to be packing up.

"Uh hey, did I do something wrong?" I asked finishing my sprite.

" No but just be careful wit Glock ass, he the player type" He said looking out for me.

"Yeah i'm aware" I said getting up throwing my trash away.

"That's all you had for lunch?" He asked and I nodded my head wiping my hands off on my pants.

"I got some chinese food coming, your break ends in 20 min you want it?" He asked and I thought about it. I mean I was hungry as fuck and wasn't about to eat for another 5 hours.

"Yes thank you" I said lowly and did a small smile.

"Ight i'll bring it in here " He said walking out the break room. I laid my head down on the table and waited for him to come back.

- - -

"Thank you for the food shad" I said using his nickname he chuckled.

"It's shad now? but you welcome better get back to work" He said and I nodded then walked out the break room back to my register. My co-worker Jada line was packed so a couple of customers sighed and came over to my register.

After about 20 customers my shift was over, I grabbed my skimpy bag with nothing in it and clocked out.

"Where you going" Yolana asked coming up to me with her bags. Her and Jada was doing over time so i'm confused as to why she had her shit.

"I'm going home" I said looking dead at her.

"Oh no I have somewhere to be so you'll be working my hours " She said as if she was tryna bully me. Rashad quietly stood behind her and told me to not say anything.

"Um no i'll be going home" I said. She chuckled and got up in my face.

"Like I said, you'll be working my hours and if you tell Rashad" She put her finger in my face " I'll beat yo raggedy ass" She said pissing me off. This was the second time somebody called me raggedy today. I was about to push her but then I knew I wouldn't have finished it, I couldn't even fight.

"You not doing shit, matter fact yo ass fired so you can do what you gotta do and not come back shorty" Rashad said saving my ass , she backed up out my face and I quickly ran out towards Mila car.

"Aye nyla you straight " Rashad asked as I walked.

"I'm fine" I said lowly and stopped in front of Mila car, she was already sitting in the car.

"Ight be safe " He said walking back inside Walmart and I got in the car. She smiled at me and I looked at her confused.

"I see you bitch" She said laughing.

"Uh no he just was checking on me" I said to her canceling any ideas she had in her head.

"I heard he brung you some food, now walking you to the car?" She said pulling out the parking lot. I rolled my eyes.

"He just being nice" I said looking out the window.

"Yeah a little too nice, but you probably right he gotta gf" She said and I nodded my head not really giving a fuck.