chapter 1 - the jump

Nyla

As I walked down the street in Bankhead, I see the same busted down bitches tryna talk to busted down niggas. I tightened the hood on my head as I walked into the corner store I always seem to go in, only because it's right around the corner from the projects I stay in, but it's still a hike.

"Girl why you always got that dirty ass hoodie on" This girl Minny I used to know from high school said to me as soon she laid her eyes on me. This bitch continuously picked on me and a few other girls because she thought she was the shit. Now that i graduated this bitch still want to be a bitch to me.

"Why you always got them cheap ass eyelashes on, Minny leave her alone bitch" Some girl said behind me taking up for me. I smirked and walked off from that situation. Although I have a lot of brutal thoughts I wouldn't dare say it out loud, you would think growing up around here I would know how to fight but I don't.

I grabbed a pack of noodles and a 99 cent soda. This was going to be my dinner for tonight being that I only had $3 to spend. I walked back up to the front and paid for the stuff and left out the store.

"Bitch you thought you was safe" Minny said walking up to me while I gripped on to the bag. I shook my head and not long after that I felt my jaw crack or some shit. All I felt after that was punches to the face. While somebody was punching me in the face I felt feet kicking me in the stomach and I knew I wasn't getting jumped.

"Dumb hoe " Minny said as the beating stopped. I picked my head up and saw about 3 girls running away. I touched my lip and it was definitely bleeding, I attempted to stand up but my leg was hurting bad.

"Aye you ok?" I heard some nigga said. The last thing I need is somebody feeling sorry for me so I stood up barely an started limping away with my bag.

- - -

"Fuck happen to your face?" My uncle said as I plopped on the couch wit my bowl of noodles. I live with my uncle he been taking real good care of me since not one but both of my parents got killed in a drive by. I was only 3 so I didn't know them foreal but as I look at the pictures my mother was really beautiful and my dad seemed to really be in love. It's fucked up how mfs can be.

"Nothing unc" I said lowly as I ate my noodles and watched the small 30 inch tv.

"Who the fuck put they hands on you Ny" He asked as he looked at me concern. I couldn't tell him the truth because the life he used to live in his head he was still living it.

"Some boys at the park threw a football at me accidentally " I lied as I got up putting my bowl in the sink. My uncle drew used to deal and sell drugs which brung in a lot of money for his daughter Destiny, but once her mother found out about that she took it to court and got full custody of my cousin. Which is why she not living broke like us. He stopped selling and got a job but the job barely paid which is why i'm eating noodles from the corner store but it's still a roof over my head.

"I know you lying Ny" He said as he walked in the kitchen and sat down eating a big sub. How the fuck he get that shit.

"I'm not" I said not  wanting to discuss it anymore. If you wondering why I barely speak up for myself it's because i'm shy. I'm 5'0 foot even, not to brag but I have a lot of hair. It's not like we have money to get something done to it so I wear it all messy everyday. I'm brownskin and i'm not thick but i'm not that skinny, believe it or not I graduated early so i'm still 17 and out of school. Maybe that's why Minny was always picking with me because she was a dumb bitch who failed 11th grade twice.

"Well did Mcdonald's call you back about the job?" He asked really wanting me to have a job.

"No but Walmart did so I guess I go in for training tomorrow " I said lowly.

"Welp i'm going to bed, goodnight my favorite niece " He said putting his sub in the oven and walking to his room wit some drink. I sighed and took my soda into the room I sleep in and laid on the bed. No money for college i'm forced to stay here until I rack up enough money to buy a cheap apartment. Life gotta be better than this.