Chapter 13

Hector leads us to his home, where we'll be staying from now on

Hector leads us to his home, where we'll be staying from now on. He and the Baudelaires communicate on the way, while I remain quiet. A murder of crows fly overhead us, resting on the tree outside our new home.

Hector stops us, unlocking his doors while cautiously looking over his shoulder. My mouth drops in awe. A giant self-sustaining hot air mobile home rests before my eyes. "This...is amazing!" I gasp, smiling at Hector. He nods in appreciation, returning the smile.

Hector tells us all of its capabilities. Each basket holds something different. Books, food, places to rest. Once it's ready, we'll be able to fly away from the dreadful village. But we have to find the Quagmires first.

Later at night, while the others sleep calmly in bed, I toss and turn. Every time I close my eyes, I relive all the horrible things that happened to me. Sighing, I crawl out of the covers, dragging outside. I sit on the bench, staring up at the full moon.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Violet says, sitting down next to me.

My lips curl up. "Yeah. I never really saw it at Prufrock. Nero was very strict on curfew. And, of course, the janitors closet didn't have any windows." We both laugh at that. I turn my head to look at her, catching the smile on her lips as she stares at the beautiful moon.

"Ellis, what was life like? Before your parents died?"

My heart clenches, breathing hitched. The memories swirl around my mind, bringing a smile to my lips. "It was wonderful." My voice catches in my throat. "Every Monday my father would take me for ice cream. He claimed Monday's were the worst day ever and that we needed something sweet to make it better. My mother and I sew dresses on the weekend, it was the only thing we had in common." A tear slides down my face, but I make no move to wipe it away. "The day they passed, my mother and I had gotten into an argument. It was silly...and stupid. I didn't say goodbye to her when they left, only my father. I was angry at her. Now...I'm angry at myself." More tears fall from my eyes. "If I had known...if I wasn't being so stupid...my last memory of her could've been a happy one." I break down, burying my head in my hands.  Violet wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"When I first met you, you were so happy. Despite all the pain and horror you have gone through, you still manage to make everyone around you happy. It wasn't under the best circumstances, but I'm glad you've come into mine and my siblings lives." I remove my hands, staring wide eyed at the older girl. "We have been through a lot of horrors as well, but you put a smile on our faces. Klaus especially."

My cheeks warm. Violet wraps her arms around me, pulling me into a hug. "Thank you. For being such a kind friend."

Crappy ending, but I love Ellis and Violets relationship.
Just kinda filler chapter to let y'all know more about Ellis and her last.
Hope y'all liked it. Thanks for reading!